Topics Map > Teaching and Learning > Canvas@illinois.edu
Canvas@Illinois, Turnitin Text-only Report
Turnitin, a plagiarism-detection tool integrated into Canvas, has the option to view the reports generated for submitted documents in a text-only version. The text-only report is intended to provide increased accessibility functions as compared to the graphic-based report.
Important Note for Keyboard Users
The text-only version has unlabeled buttons to exclude specific search results. Keyboard users need to know that the tabbing order on the results page follows a predictable, regular pattern of a text passage followed by its respective exclude filter button, followed by the next passage and then its respective exclude filter button, and so on.
Turnitin has the following documentation on how to access the text-only version: Accessing the text-only Similarity Report.
User Orientation to the Text-only Report Interface
If you are using a keyboard to navigate Turnitin, when you first tab into the graphical version, you will see a link to skip to the text-only version. Below is a screenshot of a sample of a text-only report with sections numbered, and the numbered sections have their location and functions described in the text that follows.
- When you click on the "Text-only Report" link, a new window will open with the text-only report in it. At the top of the page, there is a centered link titled "Document Viewer;" this link will return you to the graphical report, if you click it.
- In the upper-left corner, there are six lines of text, stacked on top of each other. The uppermost line consists of the following text: Turnitin Originality Report. The line below that contains the date and time when the report was generated by Turnitin. The next line has the unique report ID created by Turnitin (this number can be useful if you ever need to contact Turnitin for technical assistance). The fourth line displays the word count of the submitted document. The fifth line shows how many documents were submitted for this assignment. The final line of text consists of the name of the document, as well as the name of the student who submitted it.
- Opposite of the block of text described above is a two-column chart. On the left side of the chart is the percentage of matching content, labeled "Similarity Index." On the right side of the chart there is a breakdown of "Similarity by Source," with percentages next to each of the following categories: Internet Sources, Publications, and Student Papers.
- A horizontal frame appears next as you navigate down the report. The left side of this frame has three links next to each other: exclude quoted, exclude bibliography, and exclude small matches. If you click any of those links, a pop-up will appear with a description of how excluding that element will alter the report and asking if you wish to proceed. To the right of those links is a drop-down menu titled "Mode." The default Mode is quickview (classic) report, but you can choose "Show highest matches together" or "Show matches one at a time" from the drop-down menu. Once you have made a selection, you can click the "Change mode" button, located directly to the right of the drop-down menu. Three additional links are next to this button, and these links include the actions "print," "refresh," and "download."
- The next section on the report consists of another block of text consisting of the source(s) of matching content. The first line of text includes the percentage of matching content and the source in parenthesis. The next line of text has the class name in which the document was submitted. The third line has the assignment's name. The last line of text has the Paper ID; if you click the ID number, you will be returned to the graphical report display.
- On the bottom right corner of this section, you will find a small X in a grey box. This X is an actionable button that is not labeled (see “Important Note for Keyboard Users”). If you click it, a pop-up will appear stating that excluding a source can be done using this link, and you are asked if you wish to continue with excluding the source by clicking the "OK" button or cancel by clicking the "Cancel" button.
- The final section in the report consists of the text of the document submitted. Text matching other sources is underlined and hyperlinked. Clicking the linked text will bring you to the source content in the graphical report.