Topics Map > Human Resources
Aspiring Supervisor Training & Development - Technology Services
This article includes a list of training and development resources recommended for Technology Services employees who aspire to become a supervisor.
Aspiring Leader Training
- EDUCAUSE Leadership Development Institutes offer a New Manager Institute for aspiring managers throughout the year, focused on providing skills in areas such as interpersonal communication, effective oversight of projects and people, cost management, HR performance and motivation, and applying leadership practices. Sessions are facilitated by experienced higher education IT leaders.
Linkedin Learning Recommendations
- Develop Your Skills as a New or Emerging People Leader (Learning Path)
- Develop Your Coaching Skills as a Leader or Manager (Learning Path)
- Developing Mental Toughness for Leadership
- Developing Your Emotional Intelligence
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Recommendations
- Five Days for Change: From the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Diversity, Equity & Inclusion in partnership with Diversity & Social Justice Education in Student Affairs, Five Days for Change is an intensive training program designed to provide university employees with the opportunity to acquire and strengthen cultural competencies, awareness, and skills. This training is available to all staff who are interested in understanding the impact their identities have in our work and are willing to engage in dialogue about critical campus issues. More information can be found here, and questions can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Emerging Women Leaders Forum: From the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Diversity, Equity & Inclusion, this forum provides leadership development for early-career professional women at Illinois who aspire to become leaders. This 9-month program equips participants with leadership skills and strategies that will positively impact their departments. Lead more here, and direct questions to email@example.com.
- Technology Services' Mentorship and Coaching Program is designed to foster a formal and facilitated mentoring relationship to support skill development and career advancement. This annual program runs November through June each year. Technology Services encourages staff to utilize the Mentorship and Coaching Program to partner with a leader to learn and develop their own supervisory and people-leading skills.
- The Women in Technology (WIT) Mentorship Program is a peer coaching effort, open to anyone, to offer growth and engagement across campus. Learn more by visiting the WIT website, or email WITfirstname.lastname@example.org.
- Supervisor Development Toolkit: Illinois Human Resources (IHR) offers a Supervisor Development Toolkit with numerous recommendations and resources for staff who aspire to become leaders. Staff are encouraged to review the resources to determine which areas might best suit their needs.
- Subscribe to the "Professional Development Opportunities" News Letter - Campus level opportunities facilitated by IHR's Employee Learning & Organizational Effectiveness.
- Coursera for Illinois provides access to higher education through MOOCs (Massive Open Online Courses). Find a variety of free non-credit courses and specializations by logging in with your UIUC credentials.
- LinkedIn Learning provides University of Illinois members with free access to over 1,200 online courses in manageable segments taught by industry experts. Log in with your UIUC credentials to get started.
Completion of these offerings does not guarantee promotion into a supervisory position. Employees are encouraged to work with their supervisor on their goals and individual development plans.