Topics Map > Teaching and Learning
Canvas@Illinois, Submit on Behalf of Student
In some cases, instructors may need or want to submit a file on behalf of a student so it is viewable in the grade book and students can view feedback and annotations. Please note: This functionality is only available for users with the role of Teacher and is not available for other course roles.
- In your course website, select Grades from the course navigation menu.
- Locate the student's name and assignment and select the cell, then select the Grade Detail Tray icon (it looks like a box with an arrow inside of it).
- Select the Submit for Student button in the tray to open a pop out window.
- In the Upload File pop-out window, you can upload a file from your computer (either by selecting the file or drag and drop) and then select the Submit button.
- You can confirm the correct file is selected.
- If the wrong file is selected, you can select the delete icon (looks like a trash can).
- If all is correct, select the Submit button.
- You'll then temporarily see a screen confirming that you made a submission.
Once submitted, you can view the submission details both in the Grade Detail Tray (Example 1) as well as SpeedGrader (Example 2) with an indication of who submitted the file.
For additional information, see the How Do I Submit an Assignment on Behalf of a Student as an Instructor guide in the Instructure Community.