Topics Map > Networking > Virtual Private Networking (VPN)
VPN, CISCO AnyConnect VPN, Loss of Internet Connectivity
After connecting to the VPN client, Internet connectivity stops working (including network shared drives). The network connection may show up as "Local Connection Only."
These steps are adapted from: http://msdynamicstips.com/2011/06/27/vpn-connection-disconnects-internet-connection/.
On Windows 7:
1. Click on the Start button.
2. In the search box, type ncpa.cpl. Press Enter.
3. The Network Connections window should open. Right click on the Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client Connection. Click on Properties
4. Select the Networking tab.
5. Select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) from "This connection uses the following items."
6. Click on Properties. Click on Advanced. Make sure there is nothing listed under Defaultgateway using the RemoveÂ button to remove any that are there.
7. Close the Network Connections window. Attempt to connect to the VPN and then the Internet.
Windows 8, 8.1:
Instead of using the Start button, begin with the Search tool. The rest of the Windows 7 steps will work for Windows 8.
A customer did submit this tidbit:
My computer had a software named Connectify which is used for creating ad-hoc. And in the adapter settings there was an option regarding connectify. I disabled it and everything worked fine.