Topics Map > Accounts and Passwords
New to Campus, Your NetID
This page contains information about your NetID and NetID password.
Your NetID is a name assigned to you that is unique across all University of Illinois campuses. It serves as your login to many University computing and networking services and also determines your University email address, which is email@example.com.
Your NetID has a password associated with it that is commonly called your "NetID" or "AD" password. Many important secure University services will ask for your AD to find out who you are and your AD password to verify that you are who you say you are.
The Technology Services Help Desk has created two YouTube videos to show you each of the steps in the NetID claim and Enterprise account creation process:
Obtaining your NetID and setting your AD password
- If you're a student, you will receive
instructions for claiming your NetID and setting your NetID password.
- If you're a staff or faculty member, there are two ways you may obtain your NetID and set your NetID password:
- You may bring proof of your appointment and a photo ID to the Technology Services Help Desk. They'll assign a NetID for you and allow you to set your NetID password.
- Your department will provide you with a NESSIE "new hire" login and password to access the NESSIE New Hire web site (external link). Within the NESSIE "new hire" section, you can request a NetID (but not a NetID password). To set your NetID password, you'll need to visit the Technology Services Help Desk in person to claim one. Call 217-244-7000 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to set up an appointment. You will need to bring a photo ID with you. The Help Desk will assign a NetID to you and will assist you to set your NetID password (if necessary).
- If you need a NetID for a guest, visit this page for more information.
Changing your NetID password
You can change your NetID password with the Password Manager (you'll be prompted to enter your NetID and current NetID password).
If you've forgotten your NetID password, see What to Do If You've Forgotten Your NetID Password.