Topics Map > Accounts and Passwords
Topics Map > Communication and Collaboration > Exchange
Email, Leaving Campus and Your '@illinois.edu' Email
This page contains information about what happens to a person's '@illinois.edu' email account when he or she leaves the Illinois campus.
On This Page
- Graduating students (December 2012 or later)
- Email access (short term) vs. redirection (long term)
- Graduate students or Staff / Faculty
- Moving existing email
If you have graduated from the University of Illinois in December 2012 or later, congratulations!
Since December 2012, graduating students with Exchange mailboxes have retained access to their Exchange mailboxes while a decision was made on how to proceed with the Illinois email for life initiative. A decision was made to offer email redirection for life going forward so that you may still receive mail at your NetID@illinois.edu address.
As of July 2015, we will be communicating to individuals directly about removing the Exchange mailbox that was retained during this timeframe. Beginning with graduates in December 2015, Exchange mailboxes will be deleted approximately 30 days after separation from the University. You will still be able to redirect email sent to your NetID@illinois.edu address.
While you will continue to be able to login to your University inbox for a while, your University email will be deactivated the semester following your graduation. You will be notified before this occurs if you have no other remaining affiliations with the University upon graduation.
However, the redirection service will continue to forward your email beyond the semester after your graduation.
PLEASE NOTE: If you are leaving the University without graduating, you will not be allowed to use the redirection service for longer than one year
To setup email forwarding using the redirection service:
You can login to http://partnercomputing.illinois.edu/ and choose where to send your future email. Any changes will happen within 4 hours; after that time, all new email will be sent to the new email address you entered.
Note that this will NOT move any mail that is already in your inbox. If you wish to take your current email with you, see Moving Your Email to Another Service.
You will need to set up redirection in two places.
- Use your NetID and password to log into the Electronic Directory Editor at
- Replace firstname.lastname@example.org with your preferred email address (For example: PreferredEmailAddress@gmail.com).
- Hit Apply.
- In a couple hours, all mail that is sent from "outside" campus (gmail, yahoo, etc) to NetID@illinois.edu will be sent to your new address instead.
- Login to webmail at
- In the mail pane, click on Options in the top right of the screen.
- Select Create an inbox rule.
- Under the Inbox Rules headline, click New....
- Under *When the message arrives, and:, select [Apply to all messages]
- Under Do the following, select Redirect the message to...
- In the pop-up box that appears, type the email address (For example: PreferredEmailAddress@gmail.com) that you wish to redirect to in the To: field.
- Click Save.
- Click Yes on the box that pops up asking if you would like to apply this rule to future messages.
If you wish to take your email with you, see Moving Your Email to Another Service.
You should move any email you wish before your inbox is deactivated.