Topics Map > Communication and Collaboration > Exchange
Email, Exchange, IMAP Email Access to Exchange
This page contains information about how to connect to the Technology Services Exchange email and calendar service using the IMAP protocol, which is used by some mobile devices and email clients.
Limitations of IMAP
The configuration given below uses the IMAP email protocol rather than the Exchange protocol. This means that many email clients which don't have full Exchange or ActiveSync support can probably connect to the Exchange server using IMAP instead.
Note that IMAP only provides an email connection. You won't receive calendar information through IMAP.
Due to the number of different IMAP email clients, it's not possible to provide a menu-by-menu and screen-by-screen set of instructions for configurations. However, once you locate your email client's configuration section, these are the settings you will use.
- Username: uofi\yournetid or email@example.com
- Password: Active Directory password
- Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Incoming mail server for Exchange 2010/2013 mailboxes: imap.illinois.edu
- Incoming mail server for Office 365 mailboxes: outlook.office365.com
- Incoming mail server security: port 143 and TLS (Thunderbird uses STARTTLS)
- Outgoing mail server for Exchange 2010/2013 mailboxes:: smtp.illinois.edu
- Outgoing mail server for Office 365 mailboxes: smtp.office365.com
- Outgoing mail server: requires authentication/password
- Outgoing mail server (SMTP) port: 587
- Outgoing mail server security: TLS