Topics Map > Networking
Networking, Wireless, Eduroam at the University of Illinois
This page provides information about the University of Illinois' eduroam offering. eduroam is a secure, world-wide roaming access wireless network for the international research and education community.
- eduroam (education roaming) is a secured wireless network service that allows students, staff, and faculty to use their home institution's wireless credentials to access wireless network services, when visiting other eduroam participating institutions, without having to set up a guest account.
- eduroam is offered throughout 36 European countries, 6 Asia-Pacific countries, the United States*, and Canada.
- With hundreds of thousands of wireless access points sharing a common SSID, eduroam acts as one large, world-wide, wireless hotspot.
Use of eduroam on the University of Illinois campus is subject to the Networking, Wireless, Local eduroam Policy .
*Note: eduroam is still in the early stages of its development in the United States. This documentation describes the services and connection methods as they are intended to perform. However, in practice you may encounter occasional difficulties at this or other locations until this new service becomes more established. We anticipate the standardization of the service will improve in the U.S. over time.
- It is strongly recommended that you configure and test your device on the eduroam network here at the University of Illinois before you travel.
- Once set up, you will be able to connect to the eduroam network on our campus; however, there may be some Illinois-specific resources that are not available to you on the eduroam network. You are encouraged to use IllinoisNet while you're here on our campus.
See Networking, Wireless, Eduroam for University of Illinois Members for locations, restrictions, and how to get started.
If you plan to visit the University of Illinois from another eduroam participating institution, you should configure eduroam on your device before you visit.
- You'll be using your home institution's user name and password system to connect to eduroam from our campus. You will need to contact your home institution for help or support, and to obtain setup instructions particular to your institution.
See Networking, Wireless, Eduroam for Travelers Visiting the University of Illinois for more information.