Topics Map > Communication and Collaboration > Lync / Skype for Business
Skype for Business, Windows Client Installation
On this page, you can find installation instructions for Skype for Business Windows client. Both automatic and manual installation instructions are included.
If you are a Windows user, Skype for Business may be installed automatically by your department's IT pros, or you can install it yourself.
The Skype for Business client is part of the Office 365 package. You can find the Office 365 offer on the Webstore at:
If you need to download and install the Skype for Business stand-alone client software yourself, the current download is available from:
- Of the Skype for Business downloads offered, choose the .EXE file that matches your Office installation or your computer's operating system type (32 bit or 64 bit).
- Download the .EXE file and double-click it to install Skype for Business.
Update Skype for Business BEFORE first use
Important updates for Skype for Business have been released since Microsoft created the Skype for Business installation package provided on the Webstore.
See Minimum Client Versions Required to get the latest updates for Skype for Business.
Starting Skype for Business for the first time
Click Start -> All Programs -> Skype for Business.
During the first time, you will be prompted to sign in.
- In the Sign-in address box, enter firstname.lastname@example.org
- (Or, if you are an AITS employee, use email@example.com)
- Click the Sign In button.
- User Name: UOFI\yournetid
- Password: your AD password
- Select remember password if you want this information remembered.
- Let Lync run in the background of your computer throughout the day.
- Click File, Sign out on the menu bar if shown at the top of the Skype for Business program window.
- Click the presence state menu directly under your name at the top of the Skype for Business window and choose Sign out.
To completely quit the Skype for Business application (normally not necessary), right click the Skype for Business icon in the icon tray and choose Exit.
For Windows Skype for Business users, automatic Microsoft updates are important. Setting automatic updates will make sure your system keeps itself current automatically.
(Optional) Adding your picture to your profile
You can reuse a Facebook or LinkedIn picture of yourself in your Skype for Business profile if you wish.