Topics Map > Accounts and Passwords
Topics Map > Networking > Virtual Private Networking (VPN)
Topics Map > Networking > Wireless
Guests, Creation, Short-term Network Guest Accounts: Creating and Distributing Them
For IT Pros This page contains information for campus IT pros and other campus hosts about how to sponsor short-term network guest accounts that can be used with the campus VPN.
Any student, faculty, or staff member at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign can create 2 short-term network guest accounts, each with 3 days' duration. In addition, departmentally authorized guest account administrators can create more guest accounts with longer durations.
Administrators can view and edit all departmentally sponsored accounts, even if they were created by another administrator in your department. Only Security staff members can view information about personally sponsored guest accounts. In order to assist a guest whose account was created by someone else, you should create a new guest account and try debugging steps with the new account.
- Log in to the "UIUCnet QuickConnect and VPN Short-Term Guest Accounts"
web site at:
What you will see in this interface depends on what level of authorization you have. Most users will only see options for personally sponsored accounts. Authorized guest account registrars will also see options for departmentally sponsored accounts, and Help Desk and Security members will have additional options for troubleshooting.
- In the left navigation, select the type of account you wish to create
(if you have more than one option). Most customers will need to select Personally
- The account creation form asks for several pieces of information, including:
- The guest's name
- The date on which the guest account should be activated
- The duration of the account
- Your acceptance of the
(Note that you must check the acceptance box in order to create an account.) and Terms
Note: Although you can create accounts with one or more of the text fields blank, Tech Services strongly recommends that you complete all three of the fields in the guest account form. Associating human information with guest account information will greatly simplify the process of account distribution and guest support.
- The guest user ID (given in the form vpn###)
- The dates the account will be active
- The guest's password
This information will only be displayed in the browser window; it will not be emailed to you. You can print this page for each user created and give the page to the user in question.
Connecting to campus wireless
After guest users are created, they can use the IllinoisNet_Guest process to help configure their system for full IllinoisNet access.
- They should look at Wireless, What is IllinoisNet_Guest? to select the instructions for their system.
- When getting connected to IllinoisNet_Guest, they should use their guest user ID and guest password in the place of a NetID and NetID password.
- After the IllinoisNet_Guest configuration is complete, the guests can use IllinoisNet for the rest of their time on campus.
Guests' VPN client configuration differences
Guests will configure their VPN clients differently than University students, staff, and faculty will. Guests will not be allowed to use the campus authentication certificates associated with the L2TP method of VPN client connection; instead, guests will use the PPTP method of connection without certificates.