Topics Map > Teaching and Learning > Illinois Compass 2G
Illinois Compass 2g, Creating Group Assignments
This page contains information about creating group assignments in Illinois Compass 2g.
On This Page
Instructors can create an assignment and release it to a specific group within a course. Only the instructor and the members in the group have access to the assignment.
The overall grade for the assignment can appear to users as a numeric value, letter grade, percentage, text, or as complete /incomplete, depending upon the primary display choice for the column created in the Grade Center for the assignment.
NOTE: A grade column is automatically created in the Grade Center for group ssignments.
- Course groups must exist prior to creating group assignments.
- Students enrolled in more than one group receiving the same assignment will submit more than one attempt for this Assignment. It may be necessary to provide these students with an overall grade for the assignment.
- Students that are not enrolled at the time a group assignment has been submitted do not have access to that submission; they can see that the submission occurred.
- Students that are removed from the group cannot see the group assignments. They can access their submissions from My Grades.
- If the assignment is edited between creation and the due date, the entire group may lose any work already in progress.
- If a group is deleted from the assignment after they have begun the work and prior to submission, then they lose access to the assignment and their work is lost.
- In Edit Mode, access the course area where a Group Assignment will be created.
- On the Action Bar, point to Create Assessment to access the drop-down list.
- Select Assignment.
- On the Create Assignment page, type a Name. Group members click this name to access the assignment.
- In the Instructions text box, type instructions for the assignment. Format the text and add images, links, multimedia, Mashups, and attachments using the functions in the text editor, if needed. Attachments added using the text editor can be launched in a new window and have alternate text added to describe the attachment.
- Optionally, attach a file using Browse My Computer. Assignment files cannot be attached from Course Files.
- Type Points Possible.
- Click the Submission Details link to expand the section.
- Under Assignment Type, click the button next to Group Submission.
- Click the Group (or Groups) that will be assigned this assignment in the left-hand "Items to Select" box.
- Click the arrow pointing to the right to move the assigned Group to the right-hand "Selected Items" box.
- Choose the Number of Attempts from the drop down.
- Select the check box to Make the Assignment Available.
- Select the option for Number of Attempts.
- Use the Display After and Display Until date and time fields to limit the availability of the Assignment. Select the Display After and Display Until check boxes in order to enable the date and time selections.
- Optionally, select a Due Date.
- In the Recipients section, select the Groups of Students option.
- In the Items to Select box, select the Group or Groups. To select multiple Groups in a row, hold down SHIFT and click each Group. To select Groups out of sequence, hold down the CTRL key and click each Group.
- Click the right-pointing arrow to move the selection into the Selected Items box.
- Click Submit.
NOTE: Multiple Attempts allow users to submit their work for a group assignment more than once and receive comments and a grade for each submission.