On this page, you can learn how to add a picture to your Unified Communications profile through Lync or Skype for Business, from either Illinois Directory, Facebook, or LinkedIn.
1. You will first need to upload your picture to the web and create a link to that picture. There are many ways to do this using different sites on the internet, but one recommended way to do this is through the illinois.edu directory.
2. First, go to http://illinois.edu/ds/search. Then search for yourself using the search box.
4. Once you click that pencil, you will be directed to login with your NetID and password. Then you will see this screen. Click the image tab at the top.
6. Once you have uploaded, you should see your image on the screen as well as the image link.
7. Copy this image link and close out your browser and go to your Windows Lync or Skype for Business client. Login to the client and click on the gear icon at the top right hand corner of the client.
NOTE: To change your picture, you must follow this whole process again.
If you would like to have an image available in Lync or Skype for Business but don't want to use a personal picture, you can use the iMark as your profile picture. See the instructions at Microsoft Lync and Outlook Branding Resources
(Reproduced from the University of Kentucky with their permission.)
1. Login to Facebook or Linkedin and navigate to the folder where the picture you want to use is located. Do NOT use the address at the top of the page because it will not be correct.
2. Make sure that the album is publicly available by selecting Everyone, Public or the equivalent on the site you are using.
3. Right-click the picture and then click Properties.
4. In the Properties dialog box, right-click the Address (URL) text box and select the entire address. Be sure to capture the ENTIRE address because only the first two lines are visible in the text box. You must select until you see the file extension .jpg at the end of the address!
5. Right-click the selected text, click Copy and then click Ok.
6. In your Lync or Skype for Business account box click the blank face area to bring up the Picture Options menu.
7. Click the Show a picture from a web address radio button and paste in your copied address, then click the Connect to Picture button and your photo should then show up as below.
8. That's it! Click the OK button and you are done.
Please Note: There are two pitfalls you should be aware of:
1. If you change your profile picture on Linkedin or Facebook, it will NOT automatically change here (because you are linking directly to the selected picture.) You will have to go back and select the new profile picture if you want it to show up for Lync.
2. If you delete the profile picture on Linkedin or Facebook it will no longer show up on Lync or Skype for Business.
If you prefer to just have Lync or Skype for Business use your current Facebook profile picture, and you want your client to update anytime you change your Facebook profile picture, use one of these two methods:
Any changes to your Facebook profile picture will be updated the next time you sign-in to your Lync or Skype for Business client.