On this page, you can learn how to use Scantron grade data in Illinois Compass 2g.
Many instructors use Scantron for scoring tests, but loading the scores into the Compass 2g Grade Center can be a little tricky. Academic Technology Services has assisted several faculty members this semester and has developed the following procedure. The key is to get the new information (the scores) under column headings that Compass will recognize. The following steps should make this clear:
1. Open your Scantron file. Notice the four columns, particularly the one marked NetID.
2. Now enter your Compass 2g course site, and go to the Full Grade Center. Look for the Work Offline button on the top right. Use the little pull down menu to select "Download."
3. At the new page that opens in preparation for downloading, click "User Info Only."
4. After you have downloaded the .csv file, you should delete everything except the column headings for Username and the column where you want the grades to go in Compass. Then, copy the NetID and Score columns (everything except those column headings!) and paste them into the file you downloaded from Compass.
5. Go back to your Compass 2g course site, to the Full Grade Center, and locate the Work Offline button. This time select "Upload" from the pull down menu. You will be prompted to Browse for your newly saved file. Once you've selected it, click Submit.
6. The newly uploaded file creates a column called "Scores" in your Grade Center, and matches these to student NetIDs, even leaving blanks where no Scantron grade data was available for a student.
For assistance with this and other Compass 2g Grade Center questions, please contact the Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 244-7000. Academic Technology Services staff also offer a variety of helpful training workshops on this and other Illinois Compass 2g topics.