Topics Map > Communication and Collaboration > Exchange
Topics Map > Communication and Collaboration > Office 365
Topics Map > Communication and Collaboration > Email
Office 365, Email, Exchange accounts
This page contains information about Office 365 and Exchange online accounts.
Eligibility for Exchange Accounts
Some campus individuals are automatically eligible for Exchange accounts; others can have accounts created for them by request.
Whether or not you are automatically eligible for an Exchange account depends on your identity type in the campus identity management directory. If you want to see whether your identity type qualifies for an Exchange account, log in to the and look at the contents of your uiucEduType field.
Automatically eligible for Exchange accounts
People in the following groups (determined by the following types) are automatically eligible for Exchange accounts:
- Urbana faculty, staff and academic hourly employees (required type: staff)
- Urbana graduate and professional students (must have type "student" and level code must be 1G, 1V, 1L, or 1M)
- Urbana Foundation and Alumni Association staff (required type: allied)
- UIC Medicine and Nursing (required types: must have both extramural and allied-medicine or allied-nursing)
If you are a member of one of these groups and do not already have an Exchange mailbox, your Exchange online mailbox will be automatically provisioned.
Account created by request
People in the following areas (determined by the following types) can have Exchange accounts created for them by request of the proxy or sponsoring department:
- Urbana guest users (required type: special)
- See What is a sponsored NetID?, under Identity Management, Sponsored NetIDs
- Urbana retirees (required type: retired)
- University High School students (required type: unihigh)
- Visiting Scholars
- People on approved leave of absence
- Other affiliates that work in some capacity with the University
Your login and password serve as your identity within the campus computing system and control access to sensitive personal information. Because of the potential for harm, it's very important that you never let anyone else use your account, login, or password - not even your parents, siblings, friends, or roommates. Any sharing is against campus computing policy and could result in losing your account privileges. A complete guide to the University's computing policies is located at: http://www.cio.illinois.edu/policies.html
Faculty/Staff should refer to Identity Management, Leaving Campus for Faculty and Staff.
Students should refer to Identity Management, Leaving Campus for Graduating Students.
Technology Services Help Desk
Phone: (217) 244-7000 or (800) 531-2531
If a sponsor requests an Exchange account for a user:
- Go into EDE and set the user's mail field as email@example.com.
- Send the ticket to UIUC-TechServices-HD Tier 2 requesting that an Exchange inbox be created.