Email, Exchange, Email in the Exchange Web Interface
This page includes information about email features in the web interface at http://webmail.illinois.edu.
This page contains information about some of the more commonly used email features in Outlook, including vacation messages, folder management, searching, sorting, and redirecting.
This page documents the full version of the interface, available in current versions of Firefox, Safari, Chrome, and Internet Explorer. Documentation of the light version, available to users of other browsers, is under development.
- Click the Mail icon in the lower right corner of the first column.
- Enter search term in search box (top of second column).
- Optional: Locate single down arrow to the right of the search box, and click to define search locations (e.g., Entire Mailbox, This Folder, etc.).
- Optional: Locate double chevrons at far right of search box, and click to expose search options. Use the search options to define the type of search you perform (e.g., subject/message body search, all messages sent to or from a user, or all messages you have added to a particular category).
- Click the magnifying glass icon to the right of the search box.
- When a search filter is active, the magnifying glass icon will change to a red X. Click the X to remove your search filter.
- Go to your Inbox to view your mail (or go to the folder you want to sort).
- Click the Conversations by Date link under the Search box and click on Date to sort your messages by Date.
If you want to sort your messages by Subject, click Conversations by Date and click Subject.
Creating a new folder
- Once you have decided in which folder you want to create the new folder, right-click that folder (i.e., if you want to create a subfolder in the Inbox, right-click the Inbox).
- From the menu that appears, choose Create New Folder.
- Type a name for the folder in the box, and then press Enter.
Renaming a folder
- Right-click the folder you want to rename and, from the menu that appears, choose Rename.
- Type the new name of the folder in the box, and then press Enter.
Deleting a folder
As the web interface will not prompt you to confirm the deletion once you click Delete, you should first make sure that all the messages in the folder are ready for deletion.
- Right-click the folder you want to delete and, from the menu that appears, choose Delete.
- Check the Deleted Items folder.
If the desired items are in that folder, use the Move option to transfer them to another location
If the desired items are not in that folder, continue to Step 2.
- Right click Deleted Items and then select Recover Deleted Items.
- Select the emails you wish to recover by clicking on them. You can use the Shift and/or CTRL key to select multiple emails.
- Click on the Recover Deleted Items icon, which is an envelope with a recovery arrow located at the top left coner of the selection list area next to the Delete (X) icon.
- Select the folder you wish to recover to, then select Recover.
The emails should appear in the folder you selected.
- Go to Options on the upper right
- Select “Set Automatic Replies…”
- Check “send automatic replies” radio button, and set up the time period you’d like it to run for. Enter your message in the text box provided. Decide whom to send the replies to (option to send a specific reply to senders from outside your organization). All of these steps are spelled out on the page.
- Select Save at the bottom right of the page.
- Click on either the “Mail” link breadcrumb on the top left, or the “My Mail” link on the top right to return to your inbox.
- Select Contacts from the left hand menu
- Select New and Contact from the drop down menu at the top of the page
- Enter Contact Info in the pop-up box that appears
- Select Save and Close from the top of the pop-up
- Your new contact will appear in your Contacts list.
- To setup filters, click the Options button in your mailbox, then click See All Options...
- Click Organize E-Mail on the left menu. Then click Inbox Rules.
- Click the New... button and in the drop down menu click Create a new rule for arriving messages
or if you prefer, you can also select the other default options for filtering in the menu.
- A window should pop-up and select the actions that you want for your messages.
(eg. If you would like to filter all email from firstname.lastname@example.org to folder John Doe's Email, you would do the following:
- Under When the message arrives, and:
Select It was received from...
On the bottom of the page under the From -> Enter email@example.com
- Under Do the following:
Select Move the message to folder... and select the folder or create a new folder by pressing the button New Folder and typing in the name John Doe's Email.
- Press OK.
- Under When the message arrives, and:
- Make sure to hit Save after you are done.