Illinois Chat, What is it?
This page contains information about Illinois Chat, a safe and secure IM service on the University network.
Illinois Chat is the instant messaging (IM) service that allows faculty, staff, and students on the Urbana campus to chat within the safety and security of the University network.
- It’s secured: Your instant messages are encrypted from end to end, which means they cannot be intercepted, and they are never sent outside the University network.
- It’s private: Any information you exchange via Illinois Chat is not being “captured,” which means your chats or file transfers are not saved or held in any way on the Illinois Chat server.
- It’s safer: Only those with a valid University NetID can use Illinois Chat, which means that everyone on Illinois Chat is verified.
- It’s the best way to find your campus colleagues: All you have to know is the NetID of the person(s) you want to chat with. You don’t need to worry about which IM service a colleague or student might be using or what his or her screen name is. Once you have an Illinois Chat account, you can easily add your Illinois contacts that are also using the IM service. If a contact is not already using Illinois Chat, you can invite him or her to start.
- It works for group chats: The same features that make Illinois Chat better for private chats and information transfer also make it the better choice for group chats. You can create and check out chat rooms for your research group, your staff, or the students in a class project.
- You can use more than one computer at a time: If you take your laptop to a new location while your office or dorm desktop is still connected, Illinois Chat will detect your activity on your laptop and direct new chat messages there.
If you're already familiar with instant messaging and want to add Illinois Chat to a Jabber-compatible IM client you already have, use the following settings:
- User name: Your NetID
(or, for Adium, firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Password: Use your Active Directory password
- Service type: Jabber (XMPP)
- Server name: im.illinois.edu
- Group chat server: conference.im.illinois.edu
- File transfer: im.illinois.edu:7777
- SSL: Required
In order to use Illinois Chat, you'll need to have IM software installed on your computer that supports Jabber (XMPP), a technical component on which Illinois Chat depends.
Some of the free IM software clients available online that will work with Illinois Chat include:
Adium (Mac only): https://adium.im/