Topics Map > Communication and Collaboration > Kaltura
Kaltura, Private content linked from a public gallery
Question: I have a public gallery of content but I also have some content that must be password protected. How can I link to the password protected content from a public gallery?
A suggestion on how to link to password protected content from a public gallery. From time to time guest speakers do not wish their recording to be visible to the world but are agreeable to the University of Illinois community viewing them.
Answer: There is a not a direct solution to allow this at the time, but there is an option that will work for you.
From time to time guest speakers do not wish their recording to be visible to the world but are agreeable to the University of Illinois community viewing them.
- Gallery: A gallery is a public facing collection of videos on Media Space. Galleries can only be created by a Kaltura admin and access to publish to them is usually restricted. These are world viewable.
- Channel: A channel is a collection of videos that are password protected. Any user with a netid can create a channel, and a viewer must have an active netid to view the content. Channels can be restricted to anyone with an Illinois netid, or to specific netids (for a smaller viewing group).
If you need to link to a video in a channel from a gallery, follow these steps.
- Upload the "private" video to a channel in Media Space (either a new one or an existing channel).
- Once you have entered metadata and the video has processed, copy the url of the video - from the channel.
- Get an image (often a "thumbnail") to represent this video entry (you might make one, grab a pre-made image that advertised the event, or take a screen grab from the private video). Save the image to your computer.
- Upload the image as a new entry in Media Space. We recommend that you use the same video title and description as the password protected video.
- In the description field enter some text to let the viewer know they need to click a link and log in to see the video, such as "This video is password protected. You must have a netid to view it."
- Create a hyperlink for the text above, using the url of the private video.
- Save the video entry
- Publish the new entry to the public gallery.
While not a simple process, this is a method that will present your collection of recordings to all visitors. It will also make it easier for users with a netid to find and view your content without having to log in and search.
After you have published the image to a gallery, and you wish to test whether or not it works, log out of Media Space first. If you do not log out it will appear that the password authentication is not working.