Google Apps @ Illinois, Importing Google Takeout email into personal Gmail account
I used Google Takeout to export my email from Google Apps, how do I import it into my personal Gmail account?
Note: Technology Services does not support the importing of your email to another service. The below instructions were pulled from articles on the internet and worked when the Help Desk tried them.
Original article is here
You won't be able to directly import your .mbox file into your gmail account, you will need to use a desktop client. Below are instructions for Thunderbird and Apple Mail.Thunderbird
Step 1: Setup your GMail account with Thunderbird
1) Download and Install the Thunderbird mail application: http://www.mozilla.org/thunderbird/
2) Launch Thunderbird and create a new account going to "File - New - Mail Account"
3) Enter your name, GMail email address, and GMail password. Make sure IMAP is selected and then click 'Continue'
4) Thunderbird will automatically get your settings if using GMail and then you can click "Create Account"
Now you will see your GMail account on the "All Folders" pane and you
can open it to see all your emails. Thunderbird is now properly set up
for your GMail accountStep 2: Install "ImportExportTools" Add-On for Thunderbird
1) To download the "ImportExportTools" extension utility that works with Thunderbird, go to https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/thunderbird/addon/importexporttools/
On that page, locate the "Download ImportExportTools (MboxImport
enhanced)". Right-click the link to download the xpi file and select
"Save target as". Please note the location that you saved the .xpi file
3) In Thunderbird, go to "Tools - Add-ons" and click on "Install" in the Add-ons windows that pops-up
4) Locate the .xpi file that you downloaded and follow the instructions prompted to install
5) restart ThunderbirdStep 3: Extract the zipped up email archive file provided to you
1) Download and Extract the Gmail Export that you have. The archive file is in .ZIP file format.
Extract the .zip file that you received. Once extracted, you will have
several MBOX files which are each named according to the cooresponding
label in Gmail. Please note the location of where you extracted the
files to.Step 4: Import the emails from the MBOX file for the label that you want to restore
In Thunderbird, import the MBOX file to a local folder; in the
navigation pane on the left, then right-mouse click "Local Folders" and
then select 'Import/Export - Import mbox file'
2) Choose the option to "import directly one or more mbox files" and select 'OK'
In the files browser, locate the folder where you extracted the mbox
files to in step 3 above. Select the mbox file that corresponds with
the label that you want to restore and then click 'Open'
4) All emails from that label will now be importing. Please be patient, as it will take a while to load all of the emails.Step 5: Copy the imported emails in to your GMail Account
In Thunderbird, in the navigation pane on the left, expand "Local
Folders" and then select the folder below that has the name of the label
that you are importing to Gmail
2) In that folder select all of the
emails contained in the folder, right-mouse click the selection, and
select 'Copy to - <gmail_account> - <label_name>'. (where
gmail_account = the email address of your gmail account and label_name =
the path to the label that you want to import the restored emails to)
All emails will now be importing to the label that you choose. Please
be patient, as it will take a while to upload all of the emails to
Once this is completed then you can log in to your GMail
account online and you should see all of the emails restored to the
label that you chose in your gmail account.
Setup your Gmail account, instructions found here
To import your MBOX file into Apple Mail:
- Copy the .mbox file to your Mac. ...
- Open Apple Mail.
- Invoke "File->Import Mailboxes" menu command.
- Check the "Files in mbox format" option and click "Continue".
- Select your MBOX files in the next window and click "Continue".
- That's it.