Endpoint Services, MECM, Out-of-Box Imaging
This article provides information on out-of-the-box imaging on Windows via MECM.
Intended AudienceUniversity of Illinois IT Pros leveraging MECM, hosted by Technology Services' Endpoint Services team
- Gather Information
- Create AD Object
- Import System into MECM
- Verify if in Deploy Collection - add as needed
- Review UEFI Settings to allow PXE
- PXE Boot
- Select Task Sequence
- if on-board NIC, system MAC address
- if no on-board NIC, bootable dock MAC address (surface as example)
- if using a dongle, SMBIOS GUID
On a machine with Windows pre-installed:
Open command prompt by pressing the Windows key and typing "cmd". Then select the command prompt.
Run this command: wmic csproduct get uuid
Record the output from this command
On a machine without Windows pre-installed:
Build an MECM boot media flash drive
Boot from the MECM boot media
After WinPE has loaded, press 'F8' to open up a command prompt.
Type the following into the command prompt: wmic csproduct get uuid
Record the output from this command.
- naming convention for your units systems
Create AD Object
- MECM can create the AD computer object and bind the machine during imaging, however for this article we will create the AD object as a separate step
Import System into MECM
- - save the csv
- Navigate to the collection where you have configured your OS Deploy Task Sequence and update the membership (this can take 15 minutes) and verify that the newly imported machine exists in the deploy collection
The WinPE environment will load and prompt you to select a task sequence that is currently deployed to your Deploy Collection
- Highlight the task sequence
- Select Next