Endpoint Services, Munki, Using Log Files to Troubleshoot Munki and MunkiReport
This article describes log files that can be used to troubleshoot Munki and MunkiReport issues.
Munki Mac Endpoint Management
University of Illinois IT Pros leveraging Technology Services Endpoint Service Munki Mac Endpoint Management
When Munki is having trouble installing software, there are several log files that can be especially useful in figuring out what Munki is doing. You can view them directly for troubleshooting purposes; if providing them to the EPS team for assistance, they can be zipped and attached to your support request or emailed separately.
There are several ways to obtain useful Munki log files:
- View logs from within the Managed Software Center application: Window → Show Log OR hit the command ⌘ + L keys simultaneously.
- This can also be done when Munki is running at the login window.
- Note that this log view is not as complete as that found at /Library/Managed Installs/Logs/ManagedSoftwareUpdate.
- Access the log files directly in Finder/Terminal: /Library/Managed Installs/Logs/
- /Library/Managed Installs/Logs/Install.log contains a list of everything that Munki has successfully installed and uninstalled, and will also briefly log failures but without much detail.
- /Library/Managed Installs/Logs/ManagedSoftwareUpdate.log contains detailed information about every item Munki considers and why it accepts or rejects it for installation.
- Run Munki manually from Terminal:
- sudo /usr/local/munki/managedsoftwareupdate -vv --checkonly [this checks for updates but does not install them]
- sudo /usr/local/munki/managedsoftwareupdate -vv --installonly [this installs any queued updates]
- You can increase the verbosity of those commands up to 4 times (e.g. sudo managedsoftwareupdate -vvvv --checkonly)
- You may also find it useful to view /var/log/install.log if the issue pertains to Munki-installed Apple updates.
As of MunkiReport version 5.0, MunkiReport logs are now separated from Munki's logs and can be accessed directly in Finder/Terminal: /Library/MunkiReport/Logs/