The cPanel service as a whole responds to the risk level assessment in the following ways. If your answers to the risk level assessment for your own site are of higher criticality than the service's responses, cPanel is not an appropriate service for hosting your website. This is just one means of evaluation. There are other factors to consider when deciding on appropriate hosting for your website. Feel free to contact the Web Hosting Team by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your individual web site needs.
Public or Internal
- Internal - Non-Classified, unpublished research data, Intellectual Property with no legal compliance requirements, "Competitive Advantage" information
- Public - Web site with no personal information of any kind stored
cPanel is appropriate for public and internal data.
- Sensitive - Student data including directory information, FERPA data, data covered by a Non-Disclosure Agreement (NDA)
If your website includes sensitive data, you should evaluate carefully for yourself whether cPanel is appropriate for your site.
- High Risk - Credit Card Data, Personal Health Data, Personal Financial Data, Passwords, ITAR/EAR (Export Control), Social Security Numbers, HR Information
If your website includes high risk data, it is not appropriate for the cPanel service.
Risk Assessment Questions
What is the SCOPE of the system or service in question?
Scopes 1 - 4: OK
- = Workgroup or Individual
- = Department
- = College or School
- = University/Campus-wide
All responses to this question are appropriate for the cPanel Webhosting Service