Topics Map > Communication and Collaboration > Exchange
Topics Map > Communication and Collaboration > Office 365
Topics Map > Communication and Collaboration > Email
Office 365 ProPlus, Device Based Subscription
Office 365 ProPlus Device Based Subscription is Microsoft’s replacement for Device Based Activation Service.
Device Based Subscription replaces Device Based Activation.
Device Based Activation will be retired on May 31, 2020.
Device Based Subscription: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/deployoffice/device-based-licensing
With respect to SCCM:
· On 1/7/2020 the managed Office 365 applications will be updated with a new version of the setup utility. All deployments to UofI endpoints that meet requirements going forward will activate using DBS.
· Existing installations of Office 365 will need a registry key set to direct the endpoint to leverage DBS. This will not impact the end-user experience.
- This can be done by deploying the ‘Set Office 365 Device-Based Licensing’ Configuration Item, under ‘\Assets and Compliance\Overview\Compliance Settings\Configuration Items’, as a Configuration Baseline in SCCM, set to remediate non-compliance where found.
- Alternatively, this key can be set via Group Policy, by creating ‘HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\ClickToRun\Configuration\O365ProPlusRetail.DeviceBasedLicensing’ with a value of ‘1’.
SCCM console path:
“\Software Library\Overview\Application Management\Applications\MANAGED APPLICATIONS\Microsoft\Office 365”
Does Device Based Activation work for Mac machines?
No. At this time Microsoft does not offer a device registration method of Office 365 ProPlus. Individuals are encouraged to use the Office 365 ProPlus option from the Office 365 portal. See Office 365 Installation instructions in the following knowledge article: Office 365, Office Software Installation / Activation / Troubleshooting
You can reclaim licenses used this way by logging into portal.office.com
What are the Requirements for DBS?
· Windows 10 1803 or later.
· Office 365 ProPlus 1907 or later.
· Hybrid-joined to Azure AD. (This will be automatic for all UofI-joined endpoints).
Endpoints that don’t meet these requirements will need to either leverage user-based activation of Office 365, or install Office 2019. Due to the limited availability of MAK for Office 2019 Endpoint Services will not be hosting it via SCCM. Webstore has a KB article for acquiring Office 2019 here.