How to Compress a PDF
How to compress a PDF to make the file size smaller using Adobe Acrobadt or
Using Adobe Acrobat
- Once you open the PDF you want to compress, use the search bar on the right side of the application to search the tools for "Optimize PDF."
- After selecting "Optimize PDF," a menu will pop up at the top of the application. From this menu select "Reduce File Size."
After selecting "Reduce File Size," you will be prompted to choose where to save the new, compressed file.
- If the processed worked you will see a notification pop up on the bottom right of your screen.
If you do not have Adobe Acrobat downloaded, Adobe offers a free compression tool that can be used in a browser. Download this free Adobe compression tool.
- Navigate to smallpdf.com. On the home page, choose the option to "Compress PDF" (ignore any suggestions that you create an account or start a free trial.)
- On the following page, press "choose file" to select the PDF that you want to compress, or drag and drop it on the red rectangle.
- Once your file is uploaded, select the free compression option and press "Choose option." Please note that, depending on the file, the free compression method may vary. It might say something like "Compress to tiny PDF" instead of "Basic Compression," if the program decides that that method is more applicable.
Once the file has been compressed, you have the option to download the file or email it directly from the website. The file will have been renamed to "yourfilename-compressed.pdf." After this, you're all set! Your PDF file should be much more space-efficient.