Using Course Explorer
Browse the Course Explorer for the schedule of classes by term and a searchable database of general education requirements.
- See here for tips on identifying “favorites” and how to receive notifications when enrollment status changes (when a spot becomes available!).
Browse the Academic Catalog for the official listing of course offerings, programs, and degree requirements.
iSchool-Specific Course Explorer Tips
- Find iSchool courses by going to Course Explorer.
- From there, select CLASS SCHEDULE.
- Next, either scroll down and select Information Sciences, or stay near the top of the page and click the letter I, then Information Sciences.
- Check the breadcrumbs at the top of the page to ensure you're looking at classes in the correct semester.
- You can also search for specific courses by going to https://courses.illinois.edu/ then selecting the Search tab. Another option is navigating directly to the Course Explorer Search Form or https://courses.illinois.edu/search/form. You must select a specific year and term, but there are also a number of optional variables to help narrow your search:
- Credit Hours
- Section Attributes
- Course Level
- GenEd Requirements
- Part of Term*
- On Campus
- Open Sections
*Part of Term is defined through the table below.
Term Codes Term Length of Term 1 Full Fall or Spring term (16 weeks) A An 8-week Fall or Spring course beginning at the start of the term B An 8-week Fall or Spring course beginning 8 weeks into the term S1 A 4-week course beginning the first week of Summer S2 An 8-week course beginning 4 weeks into Summer SF A 12-week course beginning the first week of Summer S2A A 4-week course beginning 4 weeks into Summer S2B A 4-week course beginning 8 weeks into Summer
- Many iSchool courses have a shared course number. These are usually called "topics" or "advanced topics" in their course titles.
You can find the specific courses by clicking on the link under course title. The screenshot below highlights the section titles in green.