Creating a Session for Online Courses
This page goes over how to create a session for online courses including recommended zoom settings, guest speakers, and help desk contact information.
- Creating a Session
- Recommended Settings
- Browser vs. Zoom Software
- Meeting ID
- Guest Speakers
- Importing Scheduled Zoom Sessions into Canvas
- iSchool Help Desk Information
Creating a Session
Instructors in Zoom must load their own class sessions in order to be the host of the meeting. Prior to the start of the semester the Help Desk will load a Zoom module onto your course’s Canvas page. The link will appear in the Instructor Work Zone on the left in Canvas. Once you click on the link, you will see a screen that looks like this:
Click on the blue button in the top right corner that says Schedule a New Meeting. A new screen will come up that directs you to create the settings for your meeting. The "Topic" field will default to the name of your course. The "Description" field can be left blank.
The following are the recommended settings for class sessions in Zoom:
- Make a recurring meeting that occurs weekly on the day of your course so that the meetings throughout the semester are already scheduled.
- Set meeting start times for the time class starts.
- Leave the video off for both the host and the participants. Participants can still turn their video on manually within the session.
- Select "Allow participants to join anytime" so students can join the session prior to your arrival and not have to wait in a waiting room (unless "Waiting Room" is selected).
- Mute participants on entry and record the meeting automatically in the cloud.
Browser vs. Zoom Software
Once you have a meeting scheduled, you have the option to run it in either your browser or through the downloaded Zoom desktop application. We strongly recommend you download the Zoom desktop application to have access to all of Zoom's features.
The Zoom application enables you to join a meeting faster and runs more consistently. It also offers a larger amount of advanced settings.
The picture below shows some of the options available in the software that are not available when Zoom is opened in a browser.
Please note that the browser version of Zoom works best for scheduling non-class meetings and viewing account details. You can sign into the browser by going to illinois.zoom.us.
Each Zoom session has a unique Meeting ID. The Meeting ID can be shared with people you invite to join the session.
Read more about Meeting IDs here.
Participants are not allowed to screen share unless given access by the host of the meeting. Hosts can enable screen sharing abilities within the meeting. If you would like to give your guest speaker more administrative powers in addition to presenting, such as the ability to mute participants and control the recording, you can make them a co-host.
Please reach out to the Help Desk if you would like a GA to send an email to your guest speaker with instructions on how to join your meeting and tips on how to best utilize Zoom.
Importing Scheduled Zoom Sessions into Canvas
Recurring Zoom meetings can be created in the Zoom desktop application and imported into the course's Zoom module.
- After opening Zoom, click the Schedule button.
- When creating your meeting settings, you can follow the guidelines above in "Recommended Settings." Take note of the recurring meeting selection if you are scheduling your class sessions.
When you've created your meeting in the Zoom desktop application, click Meetings at the top of the window and take note of that specific meeting's Meeting ID.
- In your Canvas course's Zoom module, click the three dots icon on the right side of the screen. Beneath that, select the "Import a Meeting" option.
- You will be prompted to enter the Meeting ID that you saw when you created your meeting in the Zoom desktop application. Type it in and click Import. Now your corresponding Zoom session will appear in your Zoom module.
iSchool Help Desk Contact Information
Main Help Desk:
614 E. Daniel Street, 4th Floor
Champaign, IL 61820
217-244-4903 or 800-377-1892
@iSchoolUI_Tech via Twitter
Open hours (CST) while classes are in session during the Fall and Spring semesters:
|614 E Daniel||Online|
|Mon-Thurs||8:00 AM - 6:00 PM||During in-person hours and any time an online class is in session (usually until 9PM)|
|Friday||8:00 AM - 5:00 PM||During in-person hours and any time an online class is in session (usually until 5PM)|
|Weekends||Not Staffed||When an online class is in session|