Below is a quick tutorial on how to check for Windows Updates on your computer.
1. Click the Windows button in the bottom left of the screen.
2. Click the Settings button (represented by a cog wheel) to open up the Windows Settings window.
3. Click on Update & Security located toward the bottom.
4. If it is visible, click Check for updates. If there is a list of updates in the area highlighted by the red box below then scroll down to an Install button and click it to begin the update process.
5. The same highlighted area may contain a Restart button when the updates have finished installing. Click this when you are able to let the computer restart and install said updates.
6. Once you have restarted, check this window again for further updates.
Note: It is useful to click Check for updates again at this time so it is certain that all available Windows updates have occurred.
Check back every month or so for Windows updates that were missed during regular operation. Your computer is likely set to automatically update Windows periodically, but some updates can fail or need to be told to install from this window.
If you have any questions or need assistance, please contact your ACES IT Pro. You can find your department's IT contact information here: https://techsupport.aces.illinois.edu/departmental-it-offices