Canvas, Manually Export Your Course from Blackboard (Illinois Compass2g)
This document details how to export a course from Illinois Compass2g (Blackboard) and import this content into Canvas. Note: this process can be used for Registrar-Affiliated, Non-Registrar-Affiliated, Training, and Development type Compass2g spaces.
Request Your New Space
Prior to starting the export process, request your space in Canvas.
- Do not proceed until you have verified that the new Canvas course space is available.
- Please include "Canvas" in the Special Instructions section at the end of the form.
- Request form: https://go.illinois.edu/sra
The request form has six different space types available, but for Canvas requests, consider these four options:
- Development Space: For development and test purposes. Development course spaces can be used to develop instructional material such as assessments (quizzes, assignments, etc.) for courses that have not yet been scheduled or to test tools before introducing them into a Registrar Affiliated, Non Registrar Affiliated, or Training course.
- Registrar-Affiliated: For spaces affiliated with University semester-based courses that are tracked by the Office of the Registrar.
- Non-Registrar Affiliated Space: For spaces not affiliated with University courses. Non-registrar course spaces may be used for conferences, outreach education, open and continuing courses, and other University activities.
- Training Space: For spaces used primarily for training purposes. Training course spaces may be used to train or certify faculty, staff, or students on a particular function or role.
Manually Export Your Compass2g (Blackboard) Course
- Login to Compass2g (Blackboard) and navigate to your course.
- Click "Package and Utilities" on the left menu
- Choose "Export/Archive Course"
- Click "Export Package"
- Under File Attachments, Course Files Default Directory, Click "Copy links and include copies of the files outside of the course default directory."
- This will export ALL external content that is linked within your course.
- This will select ALL course content areas within your course for export.
- NOTE: You can use the Select Course Materials area to choose what you want to export.
- Click "Submit"
- You will be returned to the "Export/Archive Course" page and will see a green bar with a message stating that the action has been queued.
- You will receive an email when the process is complete.
- Hit "Refresh" on the page to see if your export is complete.
- The new file will appear and will have the date/timestamp indicating that it is the most recent.
- Click on the new file that begins with "ExportFile"
- Download it and save.
Manually Importing Your Compass2g (Blackboard) Course Content Into Canvas
After you have requested your Canvas space and exported your course from Compass2g (Blackboard), you can import your course content into Canvas.
- In Canvas, go to the Dashboard and select your new course shell created earlier.
- Click "Import Existing Content" on the right side menu.
- Choose Content Type as "Blackboard 6/7/8/9 export.zip file"
- Click "Source" and navigate to your exported Blackboard file you saved earlier.
- Choose a Default Question Bank
- Content: Select " All Content" or "Specific Content"
- Choosing "Specific Content" will allow you to select the content to import when the import process begins.
- "Overwrite assessment content with matching IDs"
- This option is NOT recommended.
- "Adjust events and due dates"
- You can choose to "shift" or "remove" dates when this is selected. You can also "Substitute" any of the days of the week.
- Click "Import" to begin the import process.
- Current Jobs shows "Completed" when import is complete.