Unable to log into Windows or AITS VPN after resetting your NetID password
This procedure explains how solve the issue of not being able to log into your Windows PC or the AITS VPN after resetting your NetID password. If you have reset your NetID password while disconnected from the local university network, your Windows password may become out of sync. To resync, you can login while physically on campus or perform the procedure below to do a remote Network Login.
This is also the recommended way for logging into your machine at all times. It will ensure your computer is always kept properly up to date and prevent issues like incorrect time/date and other strange, unexplained behaviors.
Performing a Network Login
- First, logout completely to get back to the main login screen
- Press the CTRL+ALT+DEL keys simultaneously
- Click on the icon of the two little computers in the bottom right, shown in the photo below:
- This will bring up a screen that lets you choose either the Chicago or Urbana AITS VPN. Once you choose one, you should see the screen below:
- Login using the following format for the username: uofi\netid. So for instance, mine would be uofi\kenzieh. Use your NEW password, not your old one.
- After this is completed, the new password should sync and you should be able to login normally.
Ensure Windows has your current credentials
If you see this notification, click and follow all directions. Otherwise your Windows password will fall out of sync with your NetID password and you will need to follow the entire procedure above.