UPB - Request a Pay Loan
A pay loan may be requested for eligible employees who will not get paid on the current scheduled pay date and a payroll adjustment cannot be submitted due to:
- Delayed new hire processing and job set-up, or
- Job changes not completed in Banner
Pay loans will not be approved for:
- Employees with an active job in Banner—please submit a Prior Underpayment Adjustment (PUA) in PARIS
- Terminal vacation and sick leave payouts
- Payroll for future pay periods
Eligible employees are:
- Civil Service, Academic Professional, and Faculty
- Eligible nonresident alien employees with a TCN or SSN
NOTE: Extra Help and Student Employees are not eligible for a pay loan due to the length of appointments and sporadic schedules. Exceptions must be approved by the Senior Director/designee of University Payroll & Benefits.
- Units may request an advance equaling 60% of the gross wages or earnings that are delayed.
- HR Front End (HRFE) transaction must be started but not yet applied to Banner.
- Employee must be eligible (see above).
- Unit will submit a Prior Underpayment Adjustment (PUA) in PARIS once the job is available.
- The pay loan amount will be deducted in full from the payroll adjustment for missed pay and any future salary or wage payments, if necessary.
- If the amount cannot be re-captured from the employee’s future salary or wages, UPB will charge the unit/department the advanced amount plus taxes or other required withholding.
To request a pay loan, the unit must complete the steps below:
Provide the Required Documents
- Complete the Request for Pay Loan Form.
- Download and complete the form with the employee
- Save entries and print the form, or send for electronic signature
- Print form and obtain signatures agreeing to the terms
- Send form to employee for electronic signature (use Adobe Sign)
- Save the signed form for upload into Chrome River.
- Supply HRFE support documentation.
- Take a screen print of the HRFE transaction including job details for each position you are requesting to be advance.
- Save as a file(s) for upload into Chrome River.
Submit an Expedited Payment Request in Chrome River
Approved pay loans (EPRs) will be issued at 3:30 p.m. the business day following submission of the Chrome River transaction.
- Log in to Chrome River. Select the +Create icon in the Invoice ribbon.
- Complete the following fields:
- Vender Name: begin typing and select the employee’s name from the list.
- Invoice Number: type Pay Loan [yyyy]
- Invoice Date: select the date from the signed pay loan request form.
- Invoice Amount: enter the total amount of the pay loan.
- Complete the Invoice Detail section.
In the Business Purpose field, type Payroll loan for [pay period and reason]
- Complete the Special Handling section.
- Expand the Special Handling section.
- Handling Options: choose the Expedited Payment Request option.
- Special Handling Instructions: type Payroll Loan, employee did not receive paycheck.
- Add the attachments.
- From the Attachments menu, select the Browse File button.
- Locate and select each file to upload, then click the Attach button:
- Request for Pay Loan Form with signatures
- Screen print of HRFE Transaction Page including Job Details
- In the Extract Data form, select the Skip button.
- Select the Add Expense button.
- In the Account Code field, begin typing and select 53039 – Pay Loan Request
- In the Service Start Date field, select the beginning date of the pay period.
- In the Service End Date field, select the last date of the pay period.
- In the Allocation field, begin typing and select 900608-374001-105003
- Select the Save button.
- Select the Submit button and choose Approve.