NetID Change, Procedure for Student, Staff, Faculty
Can I change my NetID?
We discourage changing a NetID due to the following:
- It could take up to 2 weeks for all University systems to sync up with the new NetID
- You may have trouble logging into some systems (course registration, Compass, email) until the changes are fully completed
- We have no control over services and systems outside of Technology Services
- We'll be unable to intervene in any systems that you're having trouble logging into until the change is fully completed
- You will HAVE to set your password again for the new ID. You might be able to use your current password.
- You have had a legal name change (please have your name updated with the University before changing your NetID)
- Your NetID contains an offensive word
- Your NetID does not reflect your gender identity
- Your NetID has a misspelling or is otherwise confusing (e.g., has combinations of the number one (1) and the letter l)
- Your NetID is hyphenated or in conflict with another campus user
- Your NetID differs from your Enterprise ID or NetID at Chicago or Springfield
Please contact the Help Desk via email@example.com or 217-244-7000. It is highly preferred you come into the Help Desk to change your NetID. If you cannot come in you will need to send a photo ID (license, i-card, etc) to firstname.lastname@example.org (preferably from an @illinois.edu email.)
During the change, you will need to sync your password with your new Enterprise ID. When your old password stops working, please reset it at the NetID Center (go.illinois.edu/password).
- What happens to my Active Directory username when I change my NetID?
The Active Directory username will be updated to the new name within two business days. You should continue to use your original username until it fails to work, and then you should switch to the new username. Please note that your Active Directory password will remain the same after a NetID change.
Group membership is preserved due to the rename.
- What happens to my Exchange username and email address when I change my NetID?
- What happens to my Box account when I change my NetID?