Illinois Compass 2g, Temporary guest accounts for Illinois Compass using Active Directory
How may a department grant guest access to course materials in Illinois Compass 2g?
Occasionally, departments request guest access for Compass. These requests are fulfilled by the creation of an account in Active Directory (AD) by the following policies and procedures:
Active Directory Guest Accounts fall into two categories:
1. If a department expects to have a total of 10 or fewer guest accounts (total), these may be requested by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information for each guest:
- First name
- Last name
- Account expiration date
- Email address (optional, but required if they want to email the person from inside of Illinois Compass)
Additional information regarding these accounts:
- An expiration date will be set for two weeks following the end of the semester unless otherwise specified by the requester.
- A password file will be uploaded to uofi.box.com and a ticket sent to the requester and the ELM-Tech Support consultant involved for access to the NetID/Password combinations.
2. If the department has more than 10 guest accounts or has IT Professionals to manage AD accounts on their own, the department' s IT staff can manage the accounts in their own Active Directory OU:
a. All guest accounts must begin with the department identifier such as ler-, mg-, aosvc-, vetmed-. Note: the hyphen is required.Note: Technology Services cannot reset passwords for locally managed AD accounts. Department IT Pros will need to assist with password resets for accounts that have been created within their OU.
b. No foreign characters or diacritical markings including tilde, diereses, etc, are allowed in a Compass user name, first name, or last name. Use the closest plain English character.
c. The entire guest name must be 9 characters or longer (to avoid conflicting with U of I NetID namespace) but no longer than 20 characters.
d. The password must be at least 8 characters and must contain at least a lower case letter, an upper case letter and a number, but no special characters.
e. It is recommended that an expiration date be set.
f. Once those AD accounts are created, email a .CSV file with NetID, First Name, Last Name and optionally an email address, (in that exact order), one account per line, to email@example.com.
g. (Optional) For lists of 20 or more guest accounts, include the course_ID so the guest accounts may be enrolled in the course site(s). If the request is for fewer than 20 names the instructor should add the guest accounts to the course site(s), manually.
See also Illinois Compass 2g, Guest, observer, or auditor access not showing content