Networking, Guide to University of Illinois IP Spaces
For IT Pros: This page contains information about IP address ranges used by the University of Illinois System.
IP ranges that host systems and/or provide services for Urbana-Champaign
These IP ranges are used on the campus network in Urbana-Champaign. Note: if you are a network or system administrator wishing to allow access from all such systems, please also consider the next two groups of IP ranges (used by System-wide shared services and NCSA).
- 10.192.0.0/10 (see note on private IP space)
- 172.16.0.0/13 (see note on private IP space)
System-wide shared services
Many services shared by the entire University of Illinois System, including payroll, Banner, Exchange, and Lync, use these IP ranges.
- 172.24.0.0/13 (see note on private IP space)
The following groups of IP ranges are used by other parts of the U of I System.
University of Illinois College of Medicine at Peoria
University of Illinois College of Medicine at Rockford
University of Illinois College of Pharmacy at Rockford
ICCN (the Inter-Campus Communications Network) carries information between all University of Illinois System campuses and connects to other Big Ten universities.
- 22.214.171.124/21 (a suballocation of Urbana-Champaign IP space)
The Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) has reserved several IP ranges for use on private networks within an organization; this private IP space can be used by anyone, but may never be routed on the public Internet (i.e. outside of the U of I System). RFC 1918 establishes three private IP address ranges: 10.0.0.0/8, 172.16.0.0/12, and 192.168.0.0/16.
Currently, computers in the 172.16.0.0/13 (Urbana-Champaign) and 172.24.0.0/13 (NCSA) private IP ranges can only reach (and be reached by) other computers within the IP ranges for Urbana-Champaign, System-wide shared services, and NCSA.
Conventions for use of Private IP space
Departments wishing to use Private IP space on the Urbana-Champaign campus network are requested to follow these conventions:
- You are permitted to use any part of the 192.168.0.0/16 address space for traffic which will never leave your unit's network. There is no need to let Technology Services know what part of this space you are using. It is entirely up to your unit to set up anything needed to use this IP space. Technology Services will not host these addresses in campus DNS nor route this IP space to other parts of the campus network. As with any other network, your unit may not route between this and other subnets (including your own) without prior approval.
- In general, the preferred option is to request a Private IP range from Technology Services. You will receive a unique (within the campus network) suballocation from the 172.16.0.0/13 address space, which can be routed to other parts of the campus network by Technology Services (if desired) and managed using IPAM. As with any other network, your unit may not route between this and other subnets (including your own) without prior approval.
- Please do not use any part of the 10.0.0.0/8 address space in your unit. 10.192.0.0/10 is reserved by Technology Services for campus-wide projects in Urbana-Champaign, and the remainder is reserved for other parts of the U of I System.
Mobile and remote IP ranges
Specific IP ranges used by various services for connecting mobile and remote users in Urbana-Champaign can be found in accessnets.txt
IllinoisNet Private: 10.192.0.0/14 IllinoisNet Public NAT: 126.96.36.199/24 # General Access Nets Private: 172.16.0.0/15 IllinoisNet_Guest Private: 172.16.128.0/17 IllinoisNet_Devices Private: 172.16.96.0/19 Eduroam Private: 172.16.0.0/18 Guest Access Nets Public NAT: 188.8.131.52/24 # vpn pool1: 184.108.40.206/22 vpn pool2: 220.127.116.11/23 vpn pool3: 18.104.22.168/22 vpn duo pool1: 22.214.171.124/25 vpn duo pool2: 126.96.36.199/24 # quickcgw2: 188.8.131.52/26 quickcgw8: 184.108.40.206/25 quickcgw-cs: 220.127.116.11/23