Networking, Guide to University of Illinois IP Spaces
For IT Pros: This page contains information about IP address ranges used by the University of Illinois.
IP ranges that host systems and/or provide services for the Urbana campus
If you are a system or network administrator who wishes to allow access to a system from any UIUCnet computer, please consider all three of the following groups of IP ranges, which collectively identify systems that belong to the Urbana-Champaign campus, University-wide shared services, and NCSA:
- 172.16.0.0/13 (see note on private IP space)
- 10.192.0.0/10 (see note on private IP space)
Many services shared by the entire University, including payroll, Banner, Exchange, and Lync, use these IP ranges.
- 172.24.0.0/13 (see note on private IP space)
The following IP ranges are used for other University of Illinois campuses and networks.
ICCN (the Intercampus Communications Network) carries information between all University of Illinois campuses and connects to other Big Ten universities.
- 220.127.116.11/21 (a suballocation of Urbana campus IP space)
Private IP space is RFC 1918 compliant IP addresses that can be used by anyone, but may not be routed on the Internet. (IP addresses in this range cannot be properly resolved from off campus.) There are 3 address ranges allocated by RFC 1918: 10.0.0.0/8, 172.16.0.0/12, and 192.168.0.0/16.
NOTE: The RFC1918 private IP ranges 172.16.0.0/13 (Urbana) and 172.24.0.0/13 (NCSA) are used for internal purposes only. Systems in these private IP ranges can only reach (and be reached by) other computers within the IP ranges for Urbana-Champaign campus, University shared services, and NCSA.
Conventions for use of Private IP space
Departments wishing to use Private IP space on the UIUC campus are requested to follow these conventions:
- For traffic that you want to use in your unit, that will never be leaving your unit's network, you are permitted to use any part of the 192.168.0.0/16 address space. There is no need to let Technology Services know what part of this you are using. It is entirely up to your unit to set up anything needed to use this IP space. Technology Services will not host these addresses in campus DNS or route this IP space to campus. Routing between this IP space and your campus assigned IP space still falls under the regular guidelines (i.e. you can't without prior approval).
- In general, the preferred option is to request a Private IP range from Technology Services. This IP range will be a subset of the 172.16.0.0/12 address space, which can be routed to other parts of campus by Technology Services (if your unit would like) and managed in campus DNS. As with any other network, your unit can not route between it and other subnets (including your own) without prior approval.
- Technology Services reserves the 10.0.0.0/8 IP space for campus-wide projects, please do not use it in your department.
Urbana campus mobile and remote IP ranges
Specific IP ranges used by various services for connecting mobile and remote users can be found in accessnets.txt
General Access Nets NAT 172.16.0.0/15 IllinoisNet NAT 10.192.0.0/14 IllinoisNet_Guest NAT 172.16.128.0/17 IllinoisNet_Devices NAT 172.16.96.0/19 IllinoisNet Public 18.104.22.168/24 cisco vpn subnet 22.214.171.124/22 vpn subnet newpool 126.96.36.199/23 vpn subnet duo 188.8.131.52/25 quickcgw2 184.108.40.206/26 quickcgw8 220.127.116.11/25 quickcgw-cs 18.104.22.168/23