Office 365, Email, Exchange, Configure Outlook for Windows
This page contains information about how to connect to the Technology Services Exchange email and calendar service using Outlook for Windows.
Microsoft Office for Windows (including Outlook) are both available as free downloads from the University of Illinois WebStore.
To install Outlook for Windows and connect it to your Microsoft Exchange account:
- On the Start menu, choose Control Panel (or go to Settings -> Control Panel).
- Using the Control Panel search box, locate the Mail icon and double-click it.
- The Mail Setup - Outlook screen will appear.
- Click the E-mail Accounts... button. The E-mail Accounts screen will appear.
- Click the New button to add a new account. The Auto Account Setup Settings screen will appear.
- In the Auto Account Settings screen, fill out the information as follows:
- E-mail Account radio button: Selected.
- Your Name: Your full name (as you want it to appear in email)
- E-mail Address: email@example.com
- Password and Retype Password: Your AD password
- Click the Next button. Outlook will try to connect to the Exchange email server.
- If your computer is not a member of the UOFI Active Directory, you may be prompted for your user name and password in a pop-up window. This window should have your email address of NetID@illinois.edu pre-populated as the username. Enter your AD password.
- Click OK.
- If your information was entered correctly and you haven't mistyped your password, Outlook will report a successful connection to the server. Click the Finish button.
- A dialog box will explain that "By adding a Microsoft Exchange account you have changed where some of your new e-mail messages and calendar information is saved. These changes will take effect the next time you start Outlook."
- Click OK to return to the E-mail Accounts screen.
- Click Close to return to the Mail Setup - Outlook screen.
- Click Close to return to Windows.
Send a test email from your Exchange account (firstname.lastname@example.org) to and from another email account to make sure that your Exchange email setup is working correctly in Outlook for Windows .