Email, Google Apps @ Illinois,Setting Up POP on Devices
This page contains information on how to set up POP on your mobile device or desktop email client to receive your Google Apps @ Illinois email.
What is POP?
POP, or Post Office Protocol, lets you download email from Google's servers to your mobile device or computer so that you can check and receive your email without having to go online and log in to the web interface.
POP does not create a constant connection like IMAP; instead, it gets mail in bursts. It may also isolate messages on your personal computer, so that you can't access those messages from other locations. If you get mail from more than one location (for example, from both a computer and a mobile phone), Technology Services recommends using IMAP instead: Email, Google Apps @ Illinois, Setting Up IMAP on Desktop Email Client.
If you are not sure whether to use IMAP or POP, please refer to the Email, Google Apps @ Illinois, Choosing How to Use Google Apps @ Illinois page for more information on the differences between the two.
If you would like to receive your Google Apps @ Illinois email on your mobile device or desktop email client using email software such as Microsoft Outlook or Apple Mail, you'll need to:
- Set a Google Apps @ Illinois POP/IMAP password.
- Enable POP access to your Google Apps @ Illinois account.
- Set up your email client.
- Log in to the Partner Computing Password (external link) site using your NetID and Active Directory password.
- In Type a password and Confirm the password fields, enter your chosen Google Apps @ Illinois password.
- Click the Set Password button.
- Log out of the Partner Computing Password site.
You will see a screen that says that your password has been set. You now have a password that will allow you to access Google Apps @ Illinois email from clients other than the web interface.
- Log in to the Google Apps @ Illinois web interface at http://g.illinois.edu (external link).
- (If this is your first time logging in:) Select your preferred language and accept the terms of service.
- Near your NetID at the top right of the screen, click the Settings link.
- In the Settings window, click the Forwarding and POP/IMAP link.
- In the IMAP Access section, select Enable POP.
- Choose the time interval of messages you want to get.
- Click the Save Changes button.
Once you have enabled POP in your Google Apps @ Illinois account, you can configure your mail client or mobile device to receive email from Google Apps @ Illinois.
Note: The table below provides general POP configuration settings, but you can find specific settings for various clients by reading on to the Mobile Devices or Mail Client sections.
|If the email client asks for...||...then enter the following:|
|Your username, user id, or email@example.com|
|Your password||Use the password you set in the Partner Services Password page|
|Your email firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Your incoming mail server||pop.gmail.com|
|Your incoming mail settings||Authentication: Password
Use Secure Socket Layers (SSL)
|Your outgoing SMTP server||smtp.gmail.com|
|Your outgoing mail settings||Authentication: Password
Use TLS (if available) or SSL (if not)
Port 587 (for TLS) or port 465 (for SSL)
Mobile Devices and Mail Clients
Google's instructions for using POP with mobile devices and email clients are collected at:
Note: Your email address for any client is email@example.com, and your password is the POP password you created in the Partner Password Manager.