Office 365, Email, Exchange, Thunderbird
This page contains information about how to connect to the Exchange email and calendar service using Thunderbird.
Thunderbird is available for several operating systems from http://mozilla.org/thunderbird/ (external link).
After downloading and installing it, follow these directions to configure Thunderbird to get your email from the Exchange system.
Request authorization from the Help Desk
If you are a new Thunderbird user, you must request authorization to use SMTP to send email.
Because of a problem with attackers phishing for campus accounts and using the campus mail servers to send spam, the campus mail servers now require an extra layer of approval.
Contact the Help Desk to have your account added to the approved list before sending email via Thunderbird.
- In the Mail Account Setup window, enter:
- Your name: Last name, First name (i.e. Smith, John)
- Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Password: Your AD password
- Remember password: (optional, your choice)
imap.illinois.edu via TLS on port 143 outlook.office365.com via TLS on port 143
- Description: SMTP-Illinois
- Server Name: smtp.illinois.edu for Exchange 2010/2013 mailboxes
- Server Name: smtp.office365.com for Exchange Online (Office 365) mailboxes
- Port: 587
- Connection Security: STARTTLS
- Authentication Method: Normal Password
- User Name: email@example.com
Thunderbird is now configured to connect to Exchange.