Networking, Wireless, iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad, and eduroam
This page contains information about using the eduroam wireless network with an iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad.
In order to connect to the eduroam wireless network with an iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad, your device must be running the most current version of the Apple iOS software:
- Version 2.1 or later will work with eduroam.
To check your system's compatibility, go to Settings -> General -> About and look at the Version information.
- Download the University of Illinois eduroam mobile configuration package onto your device. You may use any wireless network to download the configuration package.
WARNING: Do not install the mobile configuration package until after you leave the Urbana-Champaign campus or your iOS device will connect to eduroam instead of IllinoisNet. Use eduroam only when you are traveling.
- The package will show it was signed by Aruba Networks. Click Install.
- The iPod/iPhone/iPad will display a warning that it is installing a Root Certificate. Click Install.
- The iPod/iPhone/iPad will display a dialog box that says Install Profile. Click Install.
- Enter your user name and password when prompted.
- User name: email@example.com
Password: Your Active Directory password.
- After you've entered this information, your device should say "Profile Installed." Click Done.
When eduroam is in range, your iPod or iPhone will connect to it automatically.
If there are several networks in range and it doesn't choose eduroam, however, you may select eduroam from the available network options:
- Go to Settings -> Wi-Fi -> eduroam.
- If you haven't stored your password, you'll be prompted for your password when connecting. Enter your Active Directory password and click Next.
- The iPhone or iPod Touch will try to connect. After a successful connection, there will be a check mark beside eduroam. At this point you're connected and can use the Internet.
When you're done using eduroam, you may either turn off your Wi-Fi connection, or select another network under Settings -> Wi-Fi.