Email, Spam Control, How to change Personal Spam Policies
How can I change my Personal Spam Policy?
- In your mailbox, find and open a recent Daily Digest. (Can't find one? See solution Email, Spam Control, How to request a digest .)
- Click on the Manage My Options link.
- A web page should open. Click on the Profile button
in the lower-left corner.
- Your options will appear in the center of the screen. Under
the line that begins "What type of spam detection
do you want?", select the radio button next to the Personal
Spam Policy of your choice. In the example below, the Cautious policy
has been selected.
Note: An additional policy called "Default" is listed with the other Spam Control policies. Technology Services is currently unable to hide or delete this listing. We have requested that Spam Control's vendor remove the Default policy in the next version release. In the meantime, if you choose the Default policy, you will receive all of your email delivered to campus, including spam messages.
The five ways for handling likely and certain spam are referred to as Personal Spam Policies. They are:
- Tag and Deliver: All email is scored and delivered to your mailbox. Note: Email from servers that are being actively blocked (due to a very high probability that they send spam) do not arrive at our campus and therefore cannot be delivered. See the Adapting to emerging spam threats section below.
- Cautious: Possible, likely and certain spam is sent to your Quarantine, a server space where spam is held for 10 days.
- Cautious Plus: Possible and likely spam is sent to your Quarantine, certain spam is automatically deleted.
- Aggressive: Possible spam is sent to your Quarantine; likely and certain spam is automatically deleted.
- No Quarantine: Possible spam is delivered to your mailbox; likely and certain spam is automatically deleted.
- Cautious Plus, No Quarantine: Possible and likely spam is delivered to your mailbox; certain and known spam is automatically deleted.
The following chart illustrates the differences in the policies:
|Personal Spam Policies|
|Tag and Deliver||Cautious||Cautious Plus||Aggressive||No Quarantine||Cautious Plus, No Quarantine|
The Cautious Plus policy is the default for existing students. New students, as of Fall 2010, will be defaulted into Cautious Plus, No Quarantine. Everyone else is in the Cautious Plus, No Quarantine policy by default. You can change which policy you are using at any time.
(Optional) If you switched to the No Quarantine policy, you will no longer have spam stored in your Quarantine. You should uncheck the box next to "Send digest even when I have no messages in my End User Digest" to prevent an empty digest being emailed to you every day.
5. Click the Save button in the upper-left corner
of the window.