Skype for Business, Supported Devices and Equipment
Skype for Business supports a variety of computer connected and stand alone devices.
Technology Services does not sell Skype for Business Devices. Tested and approved devices may be purchased by units via iBuy or other campus approved methods for purchasing equipment.
Support for Skype for Business devices is handled primarily by the local unit IT Professional. Technology Services provides support for the network connectivity of stand-alone IP phones. Configuration and troubleshooting of IP phones or USB phone devices (aka personal peripherals) is handled by local IT Professionals.
Not all the devices you find on Microsoft's web sites may be supported by Technology Services. Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to verify that a device you want to purchase is supported.
Separate devices are not required, but are suggested
Customers can access the voice service through the Skype for Business client on Windows, MacOS, Android, iOS, or a stand-alone IP Phone device. Skype for Business client software is not currently available for Linux operating systems.
Most Windows or MacOS computers have an audio card with microphone and speaker capabilities -- and your existing computer might be sufficient. Depending on how you use Skype for Business, you will likely prefer an additional device such as a headset or an IP Phone. We suggest using, at minimum, a USB headset rather than the built-in microphone and speakers; the user experience is greatly improved by doing so.
Skype for Business USB and Personal Peripherals
Skype for Business USB and Personal Peripherals connect to your computer and interact with the Skype for Business client software. USB devices should be compatible with any computer running the current versions of Windows and the Skype for Business client. Some commonly used USB peripherals include, but are not limited to:
- Polycom CX300 R2
- Jabra SPEAK 410 MS
- Plantronics Calisto P610-M
- Plantronics Calisto P240-M
MacOS support of USB devices is limited. Please contact the vendor to verify Mac compatibility before purchasing.
A full list of Skype for Business Certified USB and personal peripherals can be found at:http://partnersolutions.skypeforbusiness.com/solutionscatalog/personal-peripherals-pcs
Skype for Business Certified IP Phones
An IP Phone is a stand alone device that does not require a
computer in order to make and receive phone calls.
limited selection of Skype for Business IP Phones are
supported by Technology Services because they must be
compatible with the campus' network management and E911
systems. (Reference: Campus Administrative Manual,
Section V-A-5, "9-1-1 Service As Used For Emergency
Response") Only the IP Phone models specifically listed
below have been tested for compatibility with our E911 system and have the relevant network options enabled on the voice networks. No other IP phones are recommended or will be supported by the Skype for Business team.
When purchasing a Yealink device, be sure to purchase the Skype for Business version. CDW offers preferred pricing on Yealink devices, available on the front page of their punch-out in iBuy in a section titled "Yealink Standards."
An overview of the Yealink Skype for Business phone lineup can be found here: https://uofi.box.com/s/gcvktn3vi65e1l6hach5g2zkiftc4lzw
Recommended Skype for Business Desk Phones:
- Yealink T58A-Skype for Business Edition Desk Phone (datasheet)
- Yealink T56A-Skype for Business Edition Desk Phone (datasheet)
- Yealink T55A-Skype for Business Edition Desk Phone (availability expected in late May 2019)
- Yealink T48S-Skype for Business Edition Desk Phone (datasheet)
- Yealink T46S-Skype for Business Edition Desk Phone (datasheet)
- Yealink T42S-Skype for Business Edition Desk Phone (datasheet)
- Yealink CP960-Skype for Business Edition Conference Phone (datasheet)
- PS5V2000US 5V 2 Amp Power Supply for Yealink Desk Phones
- EXP50 Color Screen Expansion Module (ONLY for T56A and T58A) (datasheet)
- EXP40 LCD Expansion Module (ONLY for T46S and T48S)
- BT40 Bluetooth Dongle Option (ONLY for T46S and T48S)
- Yealink PoE Adapter YLPOE30 for CP960 Conference Phone
- Wired External Microphone CPE90 (optional add-on for CP960)
- Wireless External Microphone CPW90 (optional add-on for CP960)
See Skype for Business, USB and IP Phones on how to set up IP phones.