Skype for Business, Supported Devices and Equipment
Skype for Business supports a variety of computer connected and stand alone devices.
Technology Services does not sell Skype for Business Devices. Tested and approved devices may be purchased by units via iBuy or other campus approved methods for purchasing equipment.
Support for Skype for Business devices is handled primarily by the local unit IT Professional. Technology Services provides support for the network connectivity of stand-alone IP phones. Configuration and troubleshooting of IP phones or USB phone devices (aka personal peripherals) is handled by local IT Professionals.
Not all the devices you find on Microsoft's web sites may be supported by Technology Services. Please send an email to email@example.com if you would like to verify that a device you want to purchase is supported.
Separate devices are not required, but are suggested
Customers can access the voice service through the Skype for Business client on Windows, MacOS, Android, iOS, or a stand-alone IP Phone device. Skype for Business client software is not currently available for Linux operating systems.
Most Windows or MacOS computers have an audio card with microphone and speaker capabilities -- and your existing computer might be sufficient. Depending on how you use Skype for Business, you will likely prefer an additional device such as a headset or an IP Phone. We suggest using, at minimum, a USB headset rather than the built-in microphone and speakers; the user experience is greatly improved by doing so.
Skype for Business USB and Personal Peripherals
Skype for Business USB and Personal Peripherals connect to your computer and interact with the Skype for Business client software. USB devices should be compatible with any computer running the current versions of Windows and the Skype for Business client. Some commonly used USB peripherals include, but are not limited to:
- Polycom CX300 R2
- Jabra SPEAK 410 MS
- Plantronics Calisto P610-M
- Plantronics Calisto P240-M
MacOS support of USB devices is limited. Please contact the vendor to verify Mac compatibility before purchasing.
A full list of Skype for Business Certified USB and personal peripherals can be found at:http://partnersolutions.skypeforbusiness.com/solutionscatalog/personal-peripherals-pcs
Skype for Business Certified IP Phones
An IP Phone is a stand alone device that does not require a computer in order to make and receive phone calls. A limited selection of Skype for Business IP Phones are supported by Technology Services because they must be compatible with the campus' network management and E911 systems. (Reference: Campus Administrative Manual, Section V-A-5, "9-1-1 Service As Used For Emergency Response")
Only the IP Phone models specifically listed
below are supported by Technology Services. When purchasing a Yealink device, be sure to purchase the Skype for Business version.
Skype for Business Desk Phones:
- Yealink T42S-Skype for Business Edition Desk Phone (datasheet) (Mfg Part#: SFB-T42S or SIP-T42S-SFB)
- Yealink T46S-Skype for Business Edition Desk Phone (datasheet) (Mfg Part#: SFB-T46S or SIP-T46S-SFB)
- Yealink T48S-Skype for Business Edition Desk Phone (datasheet) (Mfg Part#: SFB-T48S or SIP-T48S-SFB)
- PS5V2000US 5V 2 Amp Power Supply for Yealink Desk Phones
- EXP40 Expansion Module Option (ONLY for T46S and T48S)
- BT40 Bluetooth Dongle Option (ONLY for T46S and T48S)
- Yealink CP960-Skype for Business Edition Conference Phone (datasheet) (Mfg Part#: SFB-CP960)
- Yealink PoE Adapter YLPOE30 for CP960 Conference Phone
- Wired External Microphone CPE90 (Optional)
Lync Phone Edition devices (no longer recommended for purchase):
- Polycom CX3000 R2 (Conference Phone)
- Aastra/Mitel 6721
- Aastra/Mitel 6725
- Polycom CX500 (discontinued)
- Polycom CX600 (discontinued)
Lync Phone Edition devices will not be able to communicate with Exchange services after October 31, 2018. This means that they will not be able to access user Calendar information or Outlook contacts.
See Skype for Business, USB and IP Phones on how to set up IP phones.