Persistent Chat, Use Notifications to Monitor Chat Room Activity
On this page, you can learn how to get notifications about messages that you have received from the Persistent Chat rooms that you follow.
Important Notice: The Skype for Business Persistent Chat service will be retired on May 31, 2019. Chat rooms and messages contained within them will not be accessible after this date. Users of Persistent Chat should plan to transition to another service, such as Microsoft Teams.
By default in Skype for Business, you’ll get messages about the chat rooms that you follow based on the preferences you set in the Persistent Chat Options window. But you can also customize the notification alerts for any rooms whose activity you’re especially interested in.
- Display the chat rooms you’re following by clicking the Followed tab on the chat room view of the Skype main window.
- Right-click the listing for a room whose notifications you want to customize, then click Change Notification Settings to open the dialog box.
- Click Customize settings and select the check box for each type of notification you want to receive. You can make any or all of the following selections:
- Show the message in a new window Immediately opens the chat room window where the message was posted.
- Show me an alert Flashes an alert in your taskbar.
- Play this sound Plays the sound listed. Or, you can click the drop-down arrow to make another selection. Or, if you have a special sound file you want to play, click Browse and navigate to it.
- Make different selections to apply to high-priority messages for them to have special treatment.