Skype for Business, Lync 2011 for Mac Installation
This page contains installation instructions for Lync 2011 for Mac.
Make sure your computer will support Lync:
- Make sure your computer is fully patched with security and software updates.
- Recommended hardware configurations are described on the Recommended Computer Configurations page.
Where to download
Lync is available as an individual download from the WebStore at https://webstore.illinois.edu/shop/product.aspx?zpid=1569&shopby=2.
Installation directions are also found in the WebStore at http://dl.webstore.illinois.edu/docs/ii/lyncmac.htm.
Important updates for Skype for Business have been released since Microsoft created the Skype for Business installation package provided on the Webstore.
The preferred method is to use Microsoft AutoUpdate on your Mac to keep your Office software up-to-date. You can manually check for updates by opening the Lync client, then going to Help > Check for Updates
See Minimum Skype for Business Client Versions Required to get the latest updates for Lync.
- Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- or, if you're an AITS employee, use email@example.com
- User ID: uofi\netid
- Password: AD password
For IT pros supporting Mac users
Tips on how to install Lync on a central system and push it out to end users' machines are available in Lync for Mac 2011 Deployment Guide.
How to use Lync 2011 for Mac
On UC Training, you can learn about upcoming UC training workshops, online training resources, and other tools.
Fast3 has good information for using Lync 2011, that document can be downloaded here : Lync 2011 Basics TechServices.pdf
The University IT pro community has been developing a local repository of information about which headsets and other devices work best with Lync for Mac. See Device testing - Lync for Mac for details.
FAQs and troubleshooting
University of Illinois IT Pros are collecting knowledge about Lync for Mac known issues and troubleshooting in the CITES Wiki, including:
- Troubleshooting and Known Issues
- Comparisons between Lync 2011 for Mac, Communicator for Mac, and Lync 2010 for Windows
- Device testing - Lync for Mac