Illinois Compass 2g, Course Links
This page contains information about creating course links within Illinois Compass 2g courses.
On This Page
A course link is a shortcut to an area, a tool, or an item and can be added to a content area, learning module, lesson plan, or folder. All existing items that appear in the pop-up course map can be linked to using a course link. For example, if a course link is created to a tool, and that tool is not turned on, users accessing the course link receive a message informing them that the tool is not turned on. The same is true if a course link is created to a content item that is subject to Adaptive Release rules. Users who are not permitted to access the content because of a rule receive a message informing them that access to the content is not permitted.
Add a course link to a content area, learning module, lesson plan, or folder to provide quick access to relevant materials and tools. For example, an Instructor can create a discussion board forum where users discuss the assigned readings. A course link to this forum can be placed in the content area with the articles for users to access.
Course links can be set to appear on a specific date and time and to
stop appearing on a specific date and time. Display restrictions do
not affect content availability, only the appearance of the course
- Access a content area, learning module, lesson plan, or folder.
- Ensure Edit Mode is ON.
- Point to Build Content on the Action Bar to access the drop-down list.
- Select Course Link.
- On the Create Course Link page, click Browse to Choose Item.
- In the pop-up Course Map, select the item.
- The Name and Location text boxes are automatically populated. Optionally, edit the Name and select the color of the link. Note: The Name appears as a link in the content area.
- Optionally, type information or instructions in the Description text box and use the Text Editor functions to format the text.
- Set the Options for the Course Link.
- Click Submit.
Note: In the content area, a course link has a unique icon represented by a few links of chain accompanying the standard icon for the tool, item, or folder.