Illinois Compass 2g, Creating a Mashup as a Content Item
This page contains information about creating a Mashup as a content item in an Illinois Compass 2g course site.
Flickr Photo, SlideShare Presentation, and YouTube Video can be searched and added to a Content area.
Mashups can be displayed in the following ways:
- Thumbnail: displays a small size of the Mashup on the page with controls to launch it.
- Text Link with Player: displays a link to launch the Mashup on the page.
- Embed: displays the Mashup directly on the page.
The System Administrator can
disable individual Mashups or all Mashups. If a Mashup is not
available, contact the Technology Services Help Desk at email@example.com
to determine its status. Mashups are often disabled to comply with
institutional rules that govern online teaching and learning.
- Navigate to the content area of your course.
- Select Kaltura Media, Flickr Photo, lynda.com Course, Slideshare Presentation, or YouTube Video from the Build Content drop down list.
- Search for content.
- Click Preview to examine the items.
- Click Select for the appropriate item.
- Change the Name of the item. This is a required field.
- Type a Description of the Mashup.
- Set the Mashup Options.
- Attach additional content items to the Mashup by clicking Browse My Computer or Browse Course Files.
- Click Yes to Permit Users to View this Content.
- Click Yes to Track Number of Views.
- Use the Display After and Display Until date and time fields to restrict the availability of the Mashup. Click both the Display After and Display Until check boxes to enable the date and time settings.
- Click Preview to examine the Mashup.
- Click Submit.
When finished, the Mashup appears in the folder or content area where it was created. If necessary, use the action link for the Mashup item to set Adaptive Release rules, add metadata, or track the number of views.
If the Mashup does not appear or displays an error after initially appearing, it is possible that the URL has changed or the item was deleted from Flickr, Slideshare, or YouTube.
PLEASE NOTE: You may be unable to play existing YouTube Mashup links and to upload and
embed YouTube videos using YouTube Mashup or Video Everywhere. The
uploaded video can be found on youtube.com, but searching for it in the
applicable building block returns videos directing you to https://youtube.com/devicesupport.
Workaround #1 For existing links:
Access the link by opening it in a new tab within your browser.
Workaround #2 For adding new videos:
1. Log into YouTube.com and select your video
2. Copy the URL from the browser
3. Go back into the editor in the IC2g environment
4. Select Insert/Edit Embedded Media
5. Paste the URL into the Fire/URL
6. Change 'Type' to "Embedded Audio"