Kaltura, Illinois Media Space
On this page, you can learn about Illinois Media Space powered by Kaltura
Kaltura is a campus video distribution system similar to YouTube. Anyone with a NetID can log in, upload and share content. Your videos are automatically converted to formats viewable across current operating systems and platforms (desktops, mobile).
Where the Kaltura media engine differs from YouTube is that your content can be locked down so it is only visible to specific NetIDs, or within your course learning management system. Think of it as YouTube with a privacy or FERPA fence. While YouTube is powerful platform, users of Kaltura at Illinois can protect their privacy and intellectual property rights.
Media you upload to Kaltura follows you based on your NetID. Video you upload in Moodle is visible to you in the Media Space. Content you upload via the Media Space mobile app can be published in Compass. While your media is visible to you when you connect to Kaltura, you may only publish into the system in which you are logged in (i.e. If you are in Media Space you cannot publish to a Compass course space and vice versa).
The Kaltura system includes:
- Illinois Media Space, https://mediaspace.illinois.edu/, a public/private portal for content. Anyone in the world can view the public galleries, but only users with active NetIDs can log in and see private channels. Channels are used for course material, RSOs, organizations, team and group work, and many other uses. The overwhelming majority of content in Kaltura is password protected to a channel or within Moodle or Compass. Anyone can create and share a channel.
- Mobile apps: skins of the Media Space that allow easier access and uploading for mobile users
- Illinois Compass2g integration. Direct access to all the recording and upload tools.
- Learn@Illinois integration. Direct access to all the recording and upload tools through the LAS implementation of Moodle.
- Owners of media can share anywhere on the Web if they choose to with embed code.
- CaptureSpace, a built-in application that lets you create video and audio through a Webcam or desktop capture--and even edit before uploading, all in one interface. Note: We have replaced CaptureSpace Lite, Kaltura's desktop recording application, with CaptureSpace.CaptureSpace can be downloaded in the same as CaptureSpace Lite was, and has all the same functions. It can be used in every way just as our documentation for CaptureSpace Lite describes. All that's changed is that new functions have been added and the name is changed.
Kaltura is available to all students, faculty, and staff to upload and share. Content publicly visible on Media Space can be seen by anyone, but public gallery publishing is limited to specific users.
To get started:
Go to https://mediaspace.illinois.edu/ and click on the login button in the upper-right:
Once you've logged in, you can click on the "Add New" button next to your name, now in the upper-right. We recommend you try CaptureSpace. You can choose this from the menu. To see what you've already uploaded, click on your name and choose My Media from the menu.
To learn more about Kaltura, Media Space, or the tools, search answers.uillinois.edu or visit the Illinois Media Space at https://mediaspace.illinois.edu/. Tips and an FAQ can be found at https://mediaspace.illinois.edu/help