Networking, Wireless, IllinoisNet_Guest, How to register your device for IllinoisNet_Guest
This page contains instructions for registering your device to connect to IllinoisNet_Guest.
- From a device already connected to the internet, go to http://go.illinois.edu/illinoisnetdevices and log in with your NetID and password
- Navigate to "Add Devices". All
campus faculty, staff and students are allowed to create and register up to 10
concurrent devices. Devices to be registers are those such
as Chromecasts, Amazon TVs, and Gaming Devices, or any other device that cannot join the IllinoisNet
- Enter the device's MAC address (common delimiter types such as hyphens and colons will be accepted)
(If you can't find your MAC address of the device try one of these KB articles! Still can't find it? Please contact your IT professional or the Help Desk and we will be happy to assist you)
- Select if you wish to enable “Airgroup”, it is not a required setting.
a. What is Airgroup?
i. Airgroup is a function of the wireless system that will allow your device to be "seen" or "cast" by other users. For instance, an Apple TV is able to be seen and displayed by multiple people. By default, if you register an Apple TV, it will only be visible by you. If you register your Apple TV, enable “Airgroup”, and input the NetIDs of the users you wish to share it with, then those users will be able to see your Apple TV and cast information to it. Airgroup will provide similar functionality for Google Chromecast, Roku and Amazon Fire.
b. If you enable Airgroup, input your NetID and your friends NetID. If you have a device that will be used in a classroom setting, please contact your IT professionals for special instructions.
- Select when to activate this account
- Accept terms and conditions
- Click Create. This device will be registered in the system for 1 year. After 1 year, you will need to extend its expiration date or re-register it.
- Remember: This device MUST join IllinoisNet_Guest.
- If you wish to update any settings later on, you can edit the device via the "Manage Device" link.