Kaltura, Clipping video
How to create a new video using clipping from existing media.
What is clipping?
Clipping allows you to create new entries from existing media. It does not overwrite the original files. You can create clips from your own media and allow other users to clip your media. The clipping tool also allows copies to be made by clipping the entire media entry.
How to toggle clipping
- Navigate to your 'My Media' page. You will see your media
arranged in a list. On the right side of the page, each entry will
have an 'Edit' button. Select this to edit the media.
You will also find an edit button on any of page where you can view media that you own. It will be below the video on the right, in the 'Actions' drop-down menu.
- On the edit page, choose the 'Options' tab to navigate to the options menu.
- Select whether anyone with access to the media can create clips or not.
How to create a clip
- On a media page, select the 'Actions' button below the media to open the media actions drop-down menu.
- If you have permission to clip this media, the drop-down menu will contain a 'Create Clip' option.
- Click 'Create Clip', to go to the clipping tool.
- Enter the Start Time for where you want to begin your clip and an End Time for where you would like to end the clip. You may also use the handles to drag the start and end times or play through the media and use the 'Set Starting Point' and 'Set Ending Point' buttons.
- After setting the start and end times, you can use the Preview button to see a sample of the clip.
- Enter the metadata for your clip. There are the following
- The name of the media being uploaded.
- This is a required field and is by defualt the filename of the media being uploaded.
- This is displayed below the media or on the player info pane.
- This is a required field for publishing and/or adding the media to a playlist.
- These are used to help describe your media and are used as keywords when searching for media.
- Multiple tags can be separated by commas or new lines.
- Date of Creation
- Allows the actual date of creation to be added to the metadata.
- Video Credits
- Allows you to enter the names and title of those who worked on the video.
- Contributors and team members
- Allows you to enter the names of the team members or others who helped put together the project.
- This field is ideal for adding student team member names to class projects.
- Custom Link Name
- This is the name for a custom link that will be displayed on the upper right of the player.
- For instance, units can use this link to direct viewers to their website.
- Custom Link URL
- This needs to be a full url (including http:// or https://) to the page you would like the link to point.
- Select 'Create Clip'.