Tableau - How to Publish to Tableau Server
To publish to Tableau server, please follow the instructions below.
How to Publish to Tableau Server.
- In Tableau Desktop, open the
- Verify the Sheet Names have
been given meaningful names (these names appear in Tableau Server).
- Determine which sheets will
be viewable in Tableau Server.
- From the Server menu, select
- Enter the server name
- Test = tableau-test.admin.uillinois.edu
- Production = tableau.admin.uillinois.edu
- Enter your login credentials
for the server.
- From the “Publish Workbook to
Tableau Server” box
- Select the
project to publish to
- Complete the workbook description.
- If your workbook is using a data extract, under Refresh Schedule select the schedule you wish to be used.
- Under Sheets, Select the Edit link and select
the sheets to be visible (results of step 3).
- Permissions are locked at the Project level and cannot be changed while publishing.
- Under Data Sources, Select the Edit link
- For Publish
Type, select Embedded in workbook.
- For Authentication, select Allow refresh access.
- Under Options, if publishing multiple sheets and wish for them to be displayed as tabs from the same dashboard then check the box for Show Sheets as Tabs.
- Select the Publish button
- You may be
prompted that it already exists, do you wish to overwrite.
- After successfully publishing
a preview is displayed.
- Close the Publish Workbook
- Log onto the Tableau Server
and verify everything is working.