Technology Enhanced Classrooms, Education Building 42
How-to's on room 42 Education Building
This is a guide to help users navigate the system in Room 42. Visit Education site for general room information.
To SETUP the system1. Touch the power button on any of the control plates
2. Select Group Mode or Single Mode
a. Group mode: all screens display the same material
b. Single mode: each screen is independent
3. From the bottom left corner on the screen of control plate, pick the source you
want to use.
a. Apple TV: to connect your own iOS device/Mac.
b. Wall plate: to connect to your laptop using the HDMI or VGA cables
provided in the room.
4. Make sure you have picked the right station on the screen (you should hit the station based on the wall plate that you have connected your computer directly via cable or the Apple TV that you are selecting to cast your materials from your iOS device).
Using a Laptop as an input source
1. Connect your laptop to either the VGA cable (black) or the HDMI cable (purple)
a. If you are using VGA cable, make sure that you have connected the audio cord to the wall plate as well, otherwise there will be no sound. HDMI and Apple TV do not need that cable and the sound will be automatically transferred.
Using APPLE TV as an input sourceApple TV is an easy way to use Airplay-compatible iOS devices as an input source in Room 17.
1. Choose Apple TV as the input source.
2. Make sure your Mac computer/iOS device is connected to IllinoisNet.
3. Type in the code of that specific Apple TV/choose the respective Apple TV from the list under AirPlay.
Instructions on using AirPlay on other iOS devices can be found here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204289
Changing the SETTINGSThere are 4 different options under the settings feature; audio, lights, displays and routing. This section provides a short description of each one.
1. Hit the setting button on the top of the control plate and select the settings that
you want to change.
2. Audio: Using this option, you can increase, decrease, or mute the volume of the audio in the room. You can control the audio in the whole room by using Group, or you can control the volumes of speakers close to each screen by using the respective audio setting. The system also allows you to adjust the sensitivity of each individual mic in the room.
3. Displays: Here you are able to turn on or off the displays that you want. You can stop the displays by using the routing option that will be discussed later. Since turning on/off the displays is more time consuming we recommend using the disconnect feature in routing rather than the turn off and on the screen.
4. Lights: The system allows you to control the lights in the room. For doing so, click on the lights and select one of the options: 100%, 75%, 50%, 25%, or turn the lights off. You have also the option of gradually increasing or decreasing the light by hitting the up and down buttons.
a. Here you can control the sources and the destinations. You can choose which screen should be the source and which output should be the destination of that source. For doing this, simply pick the source (AppleTV/HDMI/VGA) and then pick your destination for that source. Repeat this for each pair of source and destination.
b. You can also choose which screens you would like disconnected. To do this, simply tap on the disconnect button under the source and then hit the destination. Repeat this for any of the displays that you want to be disconnected.
6. After you’re done changing the settings, hit the EXIT button to go back to the main menu.