Office 365, Office Software Installation / Activation / Troubleshooting
Office 365 installation instructions, troubleshooting for windows, troubleshooting for macs, and other common problems.
Installation and Activation instructions for Office Software from Office 365:
Office 365 Software Installation Instructions - Use these instructions to ensure all trial or previously installed Office software is removed first.
Troubleshooting Office 365 Install on Windows Machines
- To help with issues you might encounter when installing Office download the: Microsoft Support and Recovery Assistant for Office 365:
Log into the Office 365 Portal
- Click on "Install Office", but then click on "Other install Options."
- Select "Tools & add-ins" from the left navigation bar.
- Then click the link for "Microsoft Support and Recovery Assistant for Office 365". Then run the Assistant.
Uninstall issues on Windows Machines:
- Consultants use this first: If the reinstall gets stuck on "We're getting ready", use the Office Uninstall Support Tool. Also known as the Office Easy Fix.
Other troubleshooting steps:
Troubleshooting Office 365 Install on Mac Machines:
Uninstall issues on Mac Machines:
- Use the Uninstall Office downloads found on these Microsoft articles:
Uninstall Office 2011 from a Mac:
- Delete previous installations from your machine:
**This is particularly important if you get an error message during the installation.
- Delete the installation file you download from the Office 365 portal (if there are multiple files, delete those as well).
- Empty the trash.
- Restart your Mac
- Log back into https://portal.office.com and try the download and installation again.
- Once the file is downloaded, go to Finder and Right-click to OPEN it (see below).
Note: Make sure you have a good internet connection. Even after the initial file is downloaded, Office is downloading more files in the background.
Other common problems:
Blank screen on Office 365 portal or only have Edit permission on your documents
- You may not be licensed for Office 365 - active faculty, staff, and students are eligible. If you are part of one of these groups, and there is no Install option on the Office 365 page, please contact the Technology Services Help Desk.
Repeated prompts to Activate or Login when using firstname.lastname@example.org:
- The most common fix is to check that Time/Date are set automatically and ensure that the person is logged into the software.
- The second most common issue is that a email@example.com address has been used for a personal, or consumer, Microsoft Office 365 account.
To check for this issue, login on the OneDrive.com site using your firstname.lastname@example.org address. If you are redirected to the campus Office 365 password page, but are still getting repeated login prompts, contact the Technology Services Help Desk. If you get a message that indicates your email address has been used for more than one account, or asks you to select your work/school account or personal account, you will need to log into your personal Microsoft Office 365 account and change the associated email address to one that is not email@example.com.