College of FAA: Box Sync 4 Guide (Mac OS)
OverviewThis article describes how to set up Box Sync 4 on your Mac. It assumes that Box Sync 4 has already been installed. If you are on an Technology Services at FAA managed Mac and would like Box Sync installed on your Mac, please contact us.
- Computers running Mac OS X.
- Users of the above systems throughout FAA.
Box Sync allows you to directly access your Box files from your computer’s file system and keeps any changes you make in the cloud or on your computer synchronized in all locations.
As Technology Services at Illinois recently announced, there is a new version of Box Sync available. There are several new features including subfolder syncing, root-level file syncing.
One fundamental change for Mac users is that setup is done through a new Box Sync app instead of the Box Sync pane in System Preferences. This document helps guide users through that setup. Please read carefully as there may be a few bumps in the setup process, particularly for Mavericks users.
Setting Up Box Sync 4 for Mac
- Go to /Applications and launch the “Box Sync” app. As Box Sync 4 launches for the first time it will automatically uninstall Box Sync 3 (or earlier). In the process, you may notice that it quits System Preferences (if open) and quickly restarts the Finder.
Note: If you previously had a previous version of Box Sync on your computer you may not see any activity after this. If nothing happens after about a minute, you can simply launch the new “Box Sync” app a second time and continue on.
- A "Box Sync" window will open that prompts you login with your email address and password. Instead of doing this, see below the "Log In" button and click on "Use Company credentials". Then enter your @illinois.edu email address and click "Log In".
NOTE: If you are on Mavericks (Mac OS 10.9) and have not used previous versions of Box Sync on this computer, this window will likely be blank. If you log out of your computer, log back in, and launch the "Box Sync" app again you should be presented with a functional login window.
- In the following University of Illinois-branded screen, select your campus (University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign) and click "Select" (you can leave the duration set as "Remember for this session").
- In the next screen, enter your NetID and Active Directory (AD) password and then click "Login".
- After you successfully log in, the main Box Sync screen presents itself to you. Wait for a few moments, however, as Box Sync will likely try to update itself at this time. You may notice that the "Box Sync" window disappears and reappears.
- Box Sync will now attempt to sync the files from your UOFI Box account in the cloud down onto your computer. If you have used Box Sync 3 or any other earlier versions on this machine, Box Sync will also likely migrate your sync folder to a new default location: a folder called "Box Sync" in the top-level of your home folder. If this is the case, you will see two small pop-up windows, one which says "Moving Files to Sync 4.0 Folder" and another, when it has finished the migration, that says "Successfully Moved Files". You can close both of these windows.
Please note that during the migration Box Sync 4 will check to see if your local sync folder has any files that are not yet in your UOFI Box account in the cloud. If it finds such files, it will put them in a folder called "Box Files Backup (not synced)", located in the top level of your home directory. Once the migration is complete, the contents of your "Box Sync" folder should match up completely with what is marked for sync in your UOFI Box account in online. If you see that a "Box Files Backup (not synced)" has been created, you can manually move the contents into your new "Box Sync" folder so that these files will be synced with your account.
- Once "Synced" shows in the lower-left corner of the screen, along with today’s date and a recent time, Box Sync is finished setting itself up.
Using Box Sync 4 for Mac
- Once you have set up Box Sync 4 on your Mac, Box should put a small helper on the menu bar in the upper-right part of your screen (a lower-case b). As long as you see this helper in the menu bar and you are online, Box Sync should be periodically syncing your files between your computer and your UOFI Box account in the cloud.
- You can access your Box settings and go to your local "Box Sync" folder at any time by clicking on this helper. You can also launch "Box Sync" from the /Applications folder to access your settings.
- Box Sync 4 has very few configuration options. In order to do its job, it should be set to sync regularly on its own. To ensure that this is the case, do the following:
- Leave syncing turned to "ON" in the "Status" tab.
- Do not "Log Out" in the "Settings" tab.
- You can control which folders from your UOFI Box account are synced onto your Mac by logging into the UOFI Box web interface.