College of FAA, Services, Printing, Mac OS X - Adding a Networked Print Queue (SMB)
- Printing from non-Active Directory-bound Macs to a Windows print server (e.g., faa-print or faa-print2).
- Non-Active Directory-bound computers running Mac OS X
- All customers of above systems
- Gather the following information for the networked printer: server URL, queue name, printer location, and printer model information/features. This information may be available on the departmental printing documentation article: College of FAA, Services, Department Printing Overview . If you cannot locate any of this information, please create an Technology Services at FAA Help Desk help request.
- (If necessary) Download and install the appropriate driver for the printer. If your Mac is Fully Managed or Semi-Managed, the driver may already be installed. Please create an Technology Services at FAA Help Desk help request if you need assistance.
- Open System Preferences.
- Click on "Print & Scan" and unlock the preference pane (if necessary).
- Click on "+" underneath the list of printers and select "Add Printer or Scanner..." in the menu that appears.
- An "Add" window will appear. If there is not already an "Advanced" button in its toolbar (on top, alongside "Default", "Fax", "IP", etc.), you'll need to customize the toolbar. Control+click on the toolbar area and select "Customize Toolbar...".
- Drag the "Advanced" item up onto the toolbar and click "Done".
- Click on the "Advanced" button.
- Then enter/select the following:
- Type: "Windows printer via spoolss"
- Device: "Another Device"
- URL: smb://<insert print server URL here>/<insert queue name here>
- Name: enter a descriptive name here (suggestion: include the queue name so that Technology Services at FAA can help troubleshoot later, if necessary)
- Location: enter the location for your reference
- Use: Generally select "Select Printer Software...", locate the appropriate driver for the printer, and click "OK".
(Reminder: Address, Queue, Location, and installed options for the printer may be available on the departmental printing documentation article: College of FAA, Services, Department Printing Overview . If you cannot locate any of this information, please create an Technology Services at FAA Help Desk help request.)
- Click "Add".
- Configure the appropriate installed options for the printer, then click "OK".
- The first time you print, you will generally be prompted to authenticate with your Active Directory (AD) credentials. Please enter uofi\<netID> and your Active Directory password. You may save your credentials in your Keychain by first checking the appropriate box in the authentication window.
- For general support please contact the Technology Services at FAA Help Desk.